SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Experienced Freelance Illustrator Seeking Work with a Publishing House

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hello fellow SCBWI illustrators!

I've been working for the past four years as a freelance illustrator (while being a stay at home parent). I've finished three books for other authors, two of which are now published, but now I'm looking for more reliable (and lucrative) work doing children's book illustration. My illustration specialties are in biology: zoology, entomology, and botany.

What should I know about working for a publishing house or art house? How do I go about finding publishing houses to approach?  How do I get into a pool of artists that a publisher would call upon? What don't I know that I should? (Help!)

#1 - May 03, 2018, 12:54 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Hi Cora,

Welcome to the boards. I suggest starting with the stickies above this thread. I'm sure you'll find some of the information you need. You might also want to look for educational publishers and magazines that publish nonfiction in your art wheelhouse. Good luck.
#2 - May 03, 2018, 08:20 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Start building a list of publishers to send postcards to. The Book (under resources if you're a paid up SCBWI member) is a great place to start. Some publishers prefer emails. Check their website just in case there have been any changes. This will also let you see if your art will be a good fit. The Sub it Club's postcards posts are quite helpful too. Kidlit411.com has a nice section under the Illustrators tab with lots of great links about building a portfolio for the children's book market.

Make sure your portfolio is up to snuff & come out from under that rock!  Good Luck!
#3 - May 04, 2018, 06:56 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

Members: