SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Handling text within a picture

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Hey illustrators,  (The title should be Handing text within a picture, but I can't figure out how to change it)
[Edited to add: I fixed it for you!  AnneB   :admin ]   

Does anyone know or can anyone recommend any resources or articles that explain, or give examples of how to handle the story text and/or dialogue bubbles while drawing. Or do ya have any tips or know some basic rules/principles that a newbie should stick to?

I've been drawing myself and I'm having a little trouble organising the text within my pictures/landscapes. Should I put text is dialogue bubbles or keep it in a text block?

Thanks!
#1 - May 07, 2018, 08:40 AM
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 07:24 AM by AnneB »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Do you mean like in a comic panel/graphic novel? Scott McLoud's books would address this.
Can't think of any resources off the top of my head for picture books. - Is this for self-publishing or just making a dummy?
#2 - May 07, 2018, 05:18 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You could try to find a book in the style you'd like and study how the illustrator handled the text.
#3 - May 07, 2018, 06:49 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks Debbie and Marla,

Debbie: Great advice. I'll go hunt my local library this arvo.

Marla: I didn't know Scott McLoud. His stuff looks fun and engaging. I'll get hold of some of his stuff. I was thinking more like Mo Williem's book 'Don't Let the Pigeon on the Bus', pic below. (It's for a PB).  This is for a dummy as opposed to self-publishing. I feel that the dummy drawings help my process. I guess now I think about it talking/typing (to you) may have solved my problem. I think I want too much. I want characters dialogue in speech bubbles, and I also want narration close by. The problem when I want both is that I need to chop up the text making the narration text float, then it gets in the way of the pictures.

If you ever see info for illustrators and handling text, please let me know.
#4 - May 08, 2018, 05:09 AM
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 05:12 AM by adam-cahill »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I think Debbie's right - mentor texts will be the way to go. Plus just playing around until things look right. Scott McCloud's books will explain speech bubbles & the rules involved with using them (His guides to making comics but will be applicable to PBs). Lots of PBs use both, & I've done it in manuscripts as well. I think it's just a matter of tinkering around with placement on the page until it feels right & the reader will know what order to read it in. 
#5 - May 08, 2018, 10:42 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks so much for this Marla. Your comments and Scott's info are exactly what I needed!
#6 - May 08, 2018, 11:28 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Adam, I fixed your headline for you and left a note in your first post.

For future reference:  I think you can change your own post by using the Modify link in the gray box in the lower right corner of the post. I'm not entirely sure if that works for the headline, though, because my :muscles admin powers don't let me see how it works for a non-admin unless jump through a bunch of hoops I don't have time for right this minute. But you can try it on your own if you want to!
#7 - May 09, 2018, 07:30 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks Anne. That's good to know as I'm a little prone to typos  :parrot
#8 - May 09, 2018, 08:19 AM

Members: