SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book publishers vs. Book producers

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hello! I'm a new member here, an agent recommended to me that I join to be able to get addresses of publishers from the Book. However I'm a little confused because unless I'm completely blind, there actually aren't any publishers listed in the Book?  I only see book producers, which doesn't sound like it's the same thing. I'd be curious to know what is the difference exactly, if anyone has any insight on the pros and cons of working with producers vs. publishers, and also if there IS or not a list of publishers available somewhere in the SCBWI resources. Thanks so much for reading!
#1 - May 07, 2018, 11:40 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
How strange. When I look at The Book, I also see a list of agents, and stuff about publicity, and stuff about hiring a freelance editor. But a list of publishers? Not so much... If you are blind, so am I.

One question I have, though, is why your agent wants YOU to find this information. That should be why you hired the agent in the first place--s/he should have personal contacts in the industry already, much more personal that you would have as a writer.
#2 - May 07, 2018, 01:21 PM

Admin Emeritus
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
The publisher info is there! It starts on p. 59
#3 - May 07, 2018, 01:39 PM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I see a section for publishers called "Publishers of Books for Young Readers" starting on page 58 and "Small Press Market Survey" starting on page 105.

Hope that helps!

Is this YOUR agent or an agent that you subbed to? It is confusing that an agent recommended that you get addresses of publishers from The Book. . .
#4 - May 07, 2018, 01:40 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you so much Olmue, Vonna and Dkshumaker for the help! I will look up the pages you mentioned immediately! (:

For the agent, I'm sorry I wasn't clear! I'm not actually signed to any agent, I'm still querying. Replies are just starting to come in and one of them said my style isn't really what they're looking for although it does look fun and professional, and she was nice enough to give me a short list of publishers that she thinks might be interested in my specific style. She then mentioned I can get the contact information for publishers by joining the SCBWI, that's how I found you guys!
#5 - May 07, 2018, 01:49 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Ah, okay. Thanks for the explanation--that makes me feel MUCH better. Because no real agent should be asking you for publisher contacts! This sounds MUCH more reasonable. (And also, rather kind to give you some further suggestions.)
#6 - May 07, 2018, 02:25 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
I thought so too! I assume she receives hundreds of submissions yet she took the time to write me some custom advice, I was floored by her kindness!
#7 - May 07, 2018, 02:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I think the personal rejection and suggested list of publishers to contact is a wonderful vote of confidence in your abilities. Congratulations!
#8 - May 07, 2018, 02:54 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Haha it feels funny to be congratulated for a rejection! But I see what you mean (:
#9 - May 07, 2018, 04:55 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Not all rejections are created equal.   :grin3
#10 - May 08, 2018, 11:01 AM

Members: