Little League?

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Okay, I should know the answer to this question but I don't.  :grin3

When does Little League Season start? Does TBall start at the same time?

And I assume that the leagues start practicing and stuff before the games begin, so when would practice begin?

Thank you wise BBers!
#1 - May 08, 2018, 10:29 AM
'Vehicle Dreams Series' Running Press Kids
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale 2015

Poster Plus
I'm not sure if it's the same all over the country, but in my New England community, Opening Day was Saturday, May 5.

Play ball!

#2 - May 08, 2018, 10:34 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm not sure if it's the same all over the country, but in my New England community, Opening Day was Saturday, May 5.

Play ball!

Oh! Thanks!! The dates I keep finding online is July 21st. So good to know it's already underway.
#3 - May 08, 2018, 10:36 AM
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
If I remember correctly, it started in Jan but I think it was just for paperwork, Feb for teams and practice, and first games mid-march. We never did t-ball but I think they'd start a little bit later. Here's the website for all the details: https://www.littleleague.org/
#4 - May 08, 2018, 10:36 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Carrots, it really must be regional because I sat through many a game in the pouring rain...in WA (the evergreen state for a reason). But wait, it can't be too variable because the teams advance to the playoffs, regional, state, etc. in the summer.
#5 - May 08, 2018, 10:38 AM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
Vijaya, your mention of regionals and playoffs makes me think that might be the July 21 date Sharon saw. Will check now....

Edited to add: Yes! The Little League Softball Eastern Region Tournament begins that day.
#6 - May 08, 2018, 10:45 AM
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:49 AM by carrots »

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
If you need the team to play at a specific time, you could always make it a township/city/regional recreation league rather than official Little League.
#7 - May 08, 2018, 10:47 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
You all rock!! Thank you SO MUCH!!

This helps tremendously! I knew I could count on the BB!
#8 - May 08, 2018, 10:50 AM
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
We have years of experience with Little League. Although the times for playoffs are set each year, I think there must be regional variations in the regular season's timing. For us, in southern California, tryouts were in January and practice started in February. Obviously, this wouldn't work for colder, snowier areas. We were playing games by the first weekend in April and finished about the first weekend in June. T-ball followed the same schedule.

It's hard for me to believe any Little League would be starting its regular season games in late July. The 2018 Little League World Series is scheduled for July 29 this year. Maybe you were looking at a playoff schedule.
#9 - May 08, 2018, 11:13 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Maybe you were looking at a playoff schedule.

Yep. Bet that's what it was. Thanks for everyone clearing this up for me. NOW I think we need to start a little league BB team!! :)
#10 - May 08, 2018, 11:23 AM
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018

Coming Soon: Beep! Beep! Special Delivery
Poster Plus
Little league here in upstate New York begins in mid April and play goes through May and some of June. After regular season, there's All-Stars. My son plays travel baseball, so it really never ends. lol

Della
#11 - May 08, 2018, 02:34 PM
How Will I Ever Sleep in This Bed? / Hey! You're Eating My Homework / Beep! Beep! Special Delivery / Precious Baby  / Huggle Wuggle, Bedtime Snuggle

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I researched all of this for a book once. Most start games in April (working around the holidays if necessary) and end in June so the playoff season can begin (and kids can study for any exams they might have at the end of school). Age matters. In my area, teams may practice in March, but that depends on the weather. Teams are also restricted in the number of practices they can have to keep things fair. Pick a town where you want your story to take place and use it's schedule for the age group you need. There are even coaches rules online. Teams here play one weeknight at 6 and one Saturday game. Watch out for softball vs. baseball too.
#12 - May 08, 2018, 09:42 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

In Eastern PA , opening day was usually in the first week of April. They use bigger fields for the bigger boys. The travel teams practice much more than the intramural teams, and they go to next door towns to compete.  There is T-ball for the youngest ones (which is super cute, but torture because the kids have no clue, hah!).  It's a huge community sport that brings parents and kids together, but some parents are really over the top.

The intramural kids might have a practice or two before their first game. The travel kids will have several. Weather and wet fields is always a factor in the beginning.  T-ball really doesn't require a practice, unless the coach wants to teach them a few basics.

Ree
#13 - May 09, 2018, 06:06 AM

I doubt, too, that they would start in mid-summer because of the Little World Series, which Little League teams can try to get to. Also, there are insurance factors. We always had to be done by a certain date due to insurance.

Ree
#14 - May 09, 2018, 06:09 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
And all youth BB teams are not Little League. Older Son was in rec department leagues until either middle school or high school (I forget which. I was not a sports person. I knew baseball was the one with the little white ball you hit with a stick...)
#15 - May 09, 2018, 07:35 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I knew baseball was the one with the little white ball you hit with a stick...)
:dr
#16 - May 09, 2018, 07:55 AM
Race Car Dreams 2016
Bulldozer Dreams 2017
Fire Truck Dreams 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Teams are divided by ages, and lots of things change as you get older, including the uniforms. You start with a T-shirt and jeans for the younger kids and move up to a full blown uniform for the majors and minors, which are the 10 - 12 yos. We live in a fairly big city, so we played all our games at the same field. Tryouts only applied to the oldest level where it was a very big deal to be chosen for a majors team. Both the majors and minors had a full uniform, but the majors were the only ones who got to play on the main diamond under the lights at night. (Other teams played on lesser fields without bleachers or lights or much grooming. You had to earn your way onto the pretty field.)

There was also someone in the call booth above home plate to call the game over a loud speaker. It was quite a kick for the kids to hear their names announced as they came up to bat. They'd also have tractors smoothing the infield and sprinklers settling the dust pre-game. It was fun. Everyone took a turn manning the snack booth. Players and coaches often hung around to watch other games and players. You could hear the sound of cleats on the sidewalks.

This is bringing back lots of memories. :) There have to be all kinds of regional differences in how things are done, so, as Debbie said, pick a place and age group and research it. It's Little League season now, so you can attend some games. Good luck and have fun!
#17 - May 09, 2018, 08:16 AM

Members: