SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

how magazines handle identity and tax for writers?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
A quick question as I am confused with the magazine publication process. Do magazines require SSN /EIN / ITIN for tax purpose ?  IRS says on its page,

" If you earned less than $600 as an independent contractor, the payer does not have to send you a 1099-MISC, but you still have to report the amount as self-employment income." So magazines are not asking for SSN if compensation is less than $600?

Also is the EIN option available for most children's magazines ? 

Thank you very much!    :running
#1 - May 15, 2018, 03:22 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hue, all the magazines I've written for required and reported the income even if it was for a small amount, like for a poem ($25). So, yes, I give them my SSN. Hope this helps. V.
#2 - May 15, 2018, 07:06 PM
TEN EASTER EGGS (Cartwheel/Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Moderator
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think most publications find it easier to simply report for everyone, but I have had places that didn't ask.  If I've only earned $25 at the start of the year from someone, I take the form as a vote of confidence that I'll earn more. Remember that the law is looking at total compensation from a company over the course of one year. There have been times when I've crossed the threshold by writing for more than one magazine owned by the same corporation.

There may be something in the corporate law that benefits them if they show every penny spent and to whom. An SSN makes you a real person and not just a name. But this is me hypothesizing. No basis for it.
#3 - May 15, 2018, 08:31 PM
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:28 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

This sounds confusing, indeed. All I was asked to do was to fill out a W-8Ben.
#4 - May 16, 2018, 04:55 AM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Thank you all for the information! If people are constantly asking for SSN, I guess I should probably get an EIN instead ...
I always worry about giving  my SSN to other people, especially in the age of cyber attacks. 
#5 - May 16, 2018, 12:22 PM

Doh, I just realised your SSN/EIN is for U.S. writers.  W-8Ben is for non-U.S. writers.  :turtle
#6 - May 16, 2018, 07:54 PM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I'm a US writer, and the Cricket group and Highlights have both required a W-9 form at the time of the first sale, and then they keep it on file after that.
#7 - May 19, 2018, 09:15 AM

Members: