SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

I have a question about marketing materials.

Discussion started on

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Hello friends,

I hope you don't mind answering these questions.

1- At a recent SCBWI event, we were told by an art director who was our guest speaker that having an illustration on the front and back of a business card is a good idea. (The point being, in the same amount of real estate, we can show two images instead of one.)

I've also heard the opposite. "Keep things simple. Pick one illustration, and use it as the back. Then, use your front for the contact info." I'm posting the font and back of the business card I'd like to print. You'll note that both sides have a picture, and both sides of the card have contact information, but different info than the front. What is your thought on that?

Should I have colorful font. I find it is more playful than black and white. Does anyone have a preference?

2- The font I'm using is called Chalkduster. I like it as my marketing materials are for children's book illustration. This gives the feeling of school. Does the font look like it matches my work in your opinion? It's hard to know, and I'm concerned about sending out marketing materials, and not knowing how they appear to the person receiving them. My aim is for MG and YA children. Does this look too kiddish to you? I think it looks fun.

3-Finally, I wanted everything to fit together. So, the bio that is on my website is also done with the thought of my being a children's book illustrator in mind. http://www.anthonyemmolo.com/index.html (Sorry, I had trouble inserting a link. So, if yo udon't mind pasting the address to the browser, I'd appreciate it.)

Should the font on my website be the same as the font on my marketing materials? I'm wondering in I'm giving two different messages.

I appreciate any thoughts that you have.

Thank you in advance,

Anthony
#1 - May 22, 2018, 10:56 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Anthony, I think having two images is good, but I would have all the contact info on one side so you can find every channel in one place. Having your name and a tagline on the other side is OK though. And because you want the focus to be on the art, I advise using a simple font in black or one or two colors so that you don't distract from the illustrations themselves.

#2 - May 23, 2018, 11:56 AM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Anthony, I checked out your link and just wanted you to know that I really like your illustrations. The faces especially are so expressive. That sixth picture almost made me cry. You have a wonderful gift.

I agree with Kell about keeping the font colors to one or two on your business card.
#3 - May 23, 2018, 07:36 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hi Anthony. I'm not an illustrator, but some of my favorite business cards are when an illustrator alternates images on them. When they're given out to a group, it's fun to compare all of them. If you put them on a display table, they could stand out even more than if they're all the same.

I love seeing images on the front and back. I think you can scale down the info on your favorite side and just have your name and website and full info on the other side.

You had mentioned marketing materials, and I'm wondering if all these amazing postcard posts can help you with business card ideas as well as future postcard ideas. https://subitclub.com/postcard-post-archive/  One of the postcards has a QR code, which is a brilliant idea. 
#4 - May 24, 2018, 01:51 AM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you all very much,

I'll consider adjusting the colors of the business card. Personally, I like that they are not all in black. But, I'l look at them with the eye of maybe there are too many different colors. Also, I'll look to see how I may have the majority of contact in for on one side, keeping the images on both sides.  This was eye opening.
#5 - May 24, 2018, 08:25 AM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Mindy,  Thank you for the post card archive link.  It's 8:26am now.  I'm brewing a coffee, and I'll sit and read through it.  :)
#6 - May 24, 2018, 08:27 AM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Evelyn, thank you for your thoughts on my faces.  It took a long time to learn to create expressions. I'm still learning. It is nice to read that someone sees I'm growing there.

:)
Anthony
#7 - May 24, 2018, 08:29 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfnortheastbay
I wanted to second what Ev said^. Very moving art.  :applause
#8 - May 24, 2018, 12:03 PM
THE VOICE OF THUNDER, WiDo Publishing
THERE'S A TURKEY AT THE DOOR, Hometown520

www.mirkabreen.com
http://mirkabreen.BlogSpot.com

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region intlcentral
Awesome pictures, I love your stroke techniques :) :) :)

Did you solve your business card issue?
#9 - May 24, 2018, 12:56 PM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thank you all for your help.

And Adam, yes, I did solve my business card issue. My concern was  possibly sending an ineffective business card or postcard, and with this virtual world we live in, never learning how the recipient sees it.

I'll make my adjustments to the card.

Yours,
Anthony 
#10 - May 25, 2018, 10:19 AM

Members: