SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Work at home parents

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
What's a job a husband and wife could do from home? Not writing.    :turtlehiding
#1 - June 03, 2018, 12:04 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Hmm...
Insurance sales/agents
Life coaches
Accountants
CPAs
#2 - June 03, 2018, 02:04 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
My friend and her husband were freelance real estate assessors, hired by villages and townships that didn't have their own assessors on staff. They worked out of a home office, although there's field work involved.
#3 - June 03, 2018, 02:12 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
artists of some kind w/online (Etsy?) shop
instrumental lessons
transcriptionists (for closed captioning on TV shows and transcripts for radio programming)
private tutors
home daycare
dog grooming

edited to add: medical transcription & billing
#4 - June 03, 2018, 02:16 PM
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 03:03 PM by carrots »

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
If they need to stay at home and not just be based out of the home:  scheduler for any number of occupations such as physicians, beautician, medical coder, bookkeeper, tax preparer (two previous don't necessarily have to be a CPA), virtual assistant, mystery shop editor, literary agent (it's not writing!), public relations, sales manager (the guy next store is a sales manager for a major  MAJOR software firm -- think Oracle but that was his previous job -- and his home office is right above our screened porch so all summer long I hear him strategizing with his team. I'd try to rent our porch to his competition but I don't know enough to figure out who his competitors are!)

Also, if they're just home-based but don't have to stay at home to do the work: antiques dealer, interior decorator, graphics designer,  home chef, personal shopper, mystery shopper, merchandiser (people who stock displays in grocery and big box stores--arranging the jewelry at Target, etc.).

Some considerations for assigning the occupation: zoning laws, liability insurance, whether the home's wiring will support any needed equipment...
#5 - June 03, 2018, 02:50 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Do they have to do the same job together? My husband works from home (mostly) these days. Among other things (like that pesky writing, lol) he does translations, he edits, and he does translation/subtitling for Swiss cop shows. And he teaches some online German classes.
#6 - June 03, 2018, 03:12 PM

Reader, reader, reader...
Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Online teaching

Appraising (based from home -- you travel to view the properties, but everything else is done from home)

Loan assessors
Insurance salesmen
#7 - June 03, 2018, 04:34 PM
Robin
Unspun: A Collection of Tattered Fairy Tales: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BSR6CPJ/

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Teaching online classes (they offer free online classes for K-12 that kids can take as their school or supplement their school with them--and colleges have online classes now, too).

Travel agent.

My dad used to see a doctor who had an office inside his house in our neighborhood. That was a long time ago...but some areas allow a business inside a home (if that works for your book).
#8 - June 03, 2018, 04:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
We have lots of doctors who have home offices in our area.

Occupational, speech,  and physical therapists and other professionals who make home visits may work from a home office.

ESL classes are also offered online and students may be anywhere in the world. This means work hours vary by the country in which the students reside.

A lot of artisans also have home shops--furniture or clock repair, upholstery and the like. I've even known people who worked on cars from home. As long as they don't need large equipment or special permits for things like removing lead paint, they can work from home.
#9 - June 03, 2018, 05:58 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Holy Guacamole! You guys are a wealth of great info. I have so many great ideas here. Not sure which direction I'll be heading, but this gives me many, many thoughts to think.   :yourock    :thanx
#10 - June 03, 2018, 09:59 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
To decide which direction to take I suggest discussing what are your mutual interests and abilities.  If you choose something you find interesting, easier and for which you have some studies or would like to know more about you'll be more motivated and can persevere when the path gets rough.  Many universities offer short courses or classes for community in case you need to strengthen some skills. 

Wish you success.
#11 - June 06, 2018, 11:25 AM

Members: