SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

what to call fireworks

Discussion started on

What would you call an individual firework explosion in the sky (something I can then make plural)? Online research shows technical terms for the various types (crossettes, horsetails, palms, etc.), but I need something very general, yet expressive, that can be understood by children 2-4.

For now, I'm saying, "star-burst"/"star-bursts," but I'm wary of its closeness to a trademarked name. Do you think it works or can you steer me toward something better?


#1 - May 21, 2018, 08:16 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • ***
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I think they all look different. There are whistlers that just make a loud noise after whistling their way up. To be kid friendly, perhaps describe the particular effect. Blazes of light shot from the center. An explosion of stars slowly twinkled out. I hope this helps.
#2 - May 21, 2018, 05:54 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Chief Administrator
Poster Plus
  • ****
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region inlandnw
What about a light burst?
#3 - May 22, 2018, 07:41 AM
Verla Kay

Blueboard Problems? Use the Contact A Moderator link in the menu at the top of the message board.

Thanks for your help, Debbie, Verla, and Ann!!

#5 - May 22, 2018, 08:18 AM

You don't need to  be concerned about using the term starburst -- it's only trademarked for candy and related products. A starburst shape is fine to reference!
#6 - May 22, 2018, 11:27 AM
Kell Andrews

THIS OR THAT, Tilbury House, 2021
THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, 2018

Thanks so much, Kell!! I'm really glad to hear that!!

#7 - May 22, 2018, 02:42 PM


0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.