SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Glossary

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Hi all,

I'm working on a fictional PB ms about a caterpillar/butterfly. The ms contains quite a few terms that I think need to be defined (chrysalis, molt, etc). So, I'm creating a glossary. My questions for all of you are: Where do I find definitions for these words? Is there a standard (Merriam Webster, Cambridge, Oxford, etc.)? Or is that copyright infringement on the dictionaries?  :help2

Any and all insight is appreciated!

-Moriah
#1 - June 22, 2018, 02:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Moriah, I use the dictionary as a starting point but pretty much write my own definitions because they need to be easy to read.
#2 - June 22, 2018, 04:55 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
What Vijaya said. And I was just doing this yesterday, myself!
#3 - June 22, 2018, 05:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I use Merriam Websters online and paraphrase. They have versions of definitions for kids and English language learners. You may want to note that your definitions are from that dictionary. Some publishers have house dictionaries that they use for style purposes.

One thing, you don't need to submit back matter with the manuscript for a trade publication. The school and library market may look for it.
#4 - June 22, 2018, 05:53 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
 :thank you

Thanks for all the feedback!

Debbie, I know back matter isn't required. But, since I'm going to try the agent route  (rather than sub to publishers myself), I thought it would make sense to include it. Am I approaching this from the wrong direction?

Can anyone tell me if I should bold the words in the ms that appear in the glossary?

-Moriah
#5 - June 23, 2018, 01:44 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
You're welcome, Moriah. I don't know about going the agent route but when I submit, I do bold the words that are to appear in the glossary and provide it as well. I always tend to submit a full package if I know that's how I envision the book, even to trade publishers.
Best wishes, Vijaya
#6 - June 23, 2018, 02:36 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
For agents, I'd take one agent at a time. See what information you find on how they expect to receive materials. If you don't find anything, I'd go without the extra but with a statement that a glossary and further facts are available. For non-fiction, you would include them. For educational publishers, I'd include them also, bu for trade fiction, I wouldn't unless I found a reason too. That could just be me though. This business is subjective and som will prefer them where others will prefer not to have anything extra. I wish I could be less wishy washy in my answer.
#7 - June 23, 2018, 09:01 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
 :thanx

Thanks, Vijaya and Debbie! I don't think this will be the ms I use to query agents. So, I'll go ahead and create the glossary so it's ready in case I need it. I'd rather do it now while my head is wrapped around caterpillars and butterflies, than later when I will have to re-engage the thought process.

-Moriah
#8 - June 24, 2018, 11:10 AM

Members: