SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture Book Vocabulary

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Hello,

What are your thoughts on vocabulary.  As I liven up my picture book writing, I'm using descriptive, strong nouns and verbs.  I've noticed, this adds complexity to the vocabulary that may be too difficult.

For example: he gazed enviously.

Is this verbiage too challenging for PB audience?  Is it acceptable if you use context to assist in understanding the words?
Thanks!
#1 - June 26, 2018, 10:41 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
PBs should have a rich vocabulary because they will be read to by adults who will explain things to the children if they need it. Kids can also figure things out by context.

The only time I worry about vocabulary is when I'm writing EZ readers because these are meant for children to read on their own and you want them to develop confidence and fluency.

Happy writing!
#2 - June 26, 2018, 12:32 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
What V said. Don't underestimate your listeners and readers.
#3 - June 26, 2018, 06:21 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Great question, Mark. I often worry about this, too.

"Is this word too high-level for this age group? Will they understand what's going on? Is my elaboration/explanation clear enough without dragging the pace? I don't want to lose the reader's attention!"

And then I worry about underestimating their reading/comprehension abilities. Goodness!

Fortunately, Vijaya has just vanquished all my doubts. Of course, PBs are meant to be rich! I'll worry about the Early Readers when I write one. Thank you, V!  :flowers2
#4 - June 28, 2018, 01:25 AM
Writing & Illustrating Quietly Bold Kidlit

https://carryusoffbooks.com/
My Clearest Me
Little Orchid's Sea Monster Trouble

Members: