SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Do I need to “do my research” before submitting to a twitter pitch contest?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Just wondering because I may submit to one. Are there contests I should steer clear of? And what things do I need to research before I submit a twitter pitch? As I am new to this world I don’t yet know what online blogs have credibility. Thank you!
#1 - July 13, 2018, 11:18 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Hi Jessica,

When you participate in a Twitter pitch party, you are not actually "submitting" to anyone. You are just posting your pitch for your book on the specific date to the feed for the party. If an agent or editor "hearts" your pitch, it means that they are interested in seeing the story or the first 5 pages, or whatever their guidelines state. That is when you need to do your research to see if that editor or agent is someone you think would be a good fit for you and your story. If not, you should not submit the story. No explanations needed. If you do think it's a good fit, you would follow the guidelines they outline for your submission.

As far as online blog contests are concerned, they are not the same as a Twitter contest. I do know Query Kombat is legitimate, and I know there are others who have posted success stories, but I am drawing a blank on them now.

I hope this makes sense!
#2 - July 13, 2018, 12:05 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Yes, this makes sense! I was asking about the blog entry because a blog I found is hosting a twitter pitch party. The blog is called Insecure Writers Support Group.
#3 - July 13, 2018, 12:23 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'd search Twitter for the hashtag and see what comes up. Also pitch parties often list agents and editors who've agreed to participate. Check if they are legit by searching Google or seeing the Response Times or other listings here. A Google search of the contest can't hurt either. You might find success stories and the like. Whether a contest is worthwhile depends a lot on who participates on the acquiring side or how the winners are selected. Generally pitch contests can be fun but they may not be more than that. Thankfully, you can still submit to anyone who is otherwise open even if they don't favorite (heart, like) your work. So many pitches go through some of the feeds that it's impossible for someone to see them all.    God luck with your pitching.
#4 - July 13, 2018, 06:10 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: