SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Lisbeth Zwerger - illustrator

Discussion started on

One of my favorite current illustrators is Lisbeth Zwerger. I grew up with her version of The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde and I've been slowly trying to collect her books now that I'm an adult.

However, I discovered today that the list of her books on Wikipedia is not up to date. As I can't find any sort of official website for her, I've been struggling to find a complete list of her work. Ideally, this hypothetical list would also include publication years...

Does anyone have any good resources for finding stuff like this? Either my googling skills are subpar or there's just not much information available online for her.
#1 - July 16, 2018, 11:45 AM
If you'd like to see my work, go to www.facebook.com/beardedillustrations

Poster Plus
Oh, wow, beardedillustrations. Her work is stunning. I can see why she is such an inspiration..

If you go to Amazon and type her name in the subject bar, books will come up. Click her name beneath any title, and 144 "results" appear. It's possible some are duplicates, but I can already see Amazon fills in a lot where Wikipedia leaves off. (Wikipedia's last listing is from 2006, while Amazon's is an October 2018 pre-order for a new J. K. Rowling book!)

Thanks for introducing me to Lisbeth's work, beardedillustrations!!

:paint
#2 - July 16, 2018, 11:54 AM

Amazon fills in a lot where Wikipedia leaves off.

Amazon is actually how I found out the Wiki page was out of date. My issue with Amazon is that it gets sorted by the most recent print date of each book instead of the original publishing date. Which makes it hard for me to make sure I've covered everything.

However, it's a step up from not having that information at all. So, thank you! Glad to introduce you to her work. ^-^
#3 - July 16, 2018, 12:09 PM

Poster Plus
Oh, drat. I'm sorry that wasn't too helpful.

#4 - July 16, 2018, 12:44 PM

I WAS able to find 2 books that weren't on the Wiki list, but going from one book every year to 2 books in 12 years is a curiosity, to say the least. Obviously, there could be many reasons why that may legitimately be the case, but it makes me worry that Amazon is simply lacking even more books than the Wiki list.
#5 - July 16, 2018, 01:03 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
The Library of Congress has 3 pages of books (registered) published under her name. I'm not sure if you are missing any of these titles but take a look see.
https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchArg=Lisbeth+Zwerger&searchCode=GKEY%5E
#6 - July 17, 2018, 02:52 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
but going from one book every year to 2 books in 12 years is a curiosity, to say the least.

Yes, it is always curious and sad for us fans, when it's a Author or Illustrator we particularly love. There are certainly many reasons for it (not that we always get to know which ones they are) Sometimes it's a matter of style not being used as much by publishers, sometimes it's the artists choice, burn out, slowing into retirement or a physical ailment.
My fav Illustrator, first Illustrator of pic books I emulated, was Denise Brunkus. She was prolific in both commercial and educational work, the Illustrator of the VERY popular chapter book series "Junie B. Jones".
When sadly, the Author of the series, Barbara Parks, died far too soon, Denise seemed to just disappear from the industry.  Depression, loss of interest or a conscious decision to slow down and enjoy other parts of her life, because life is short... don't know. It's our loss but I'm hoping their gain.
#7 - July 17, 2018, 03:10 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

The Library of Congress has 3 pages of books (registered) published under her name.
Nothing I didn't already have, but thank you!

Yes, it is always curious and sad for us fans, when it's a Author or Illustrator we particularly love.
Yes, there's probably some significant reason that I'll never know. I'm hoping that she just retired happy and was lured back in to do two more books. Or something similarly positive.

My fav Illustrator, first Illustrator of pic books I emulated, was Denise Brunkus.
While I didn't know Denise Brunkus' name, I recognize her work from my childhood.  Sorry to hear her rough reasons for leaving the industry, though. :/
#8 - July 17, 2018, 03:22 PM

UPDATE: Thank you all for your input. I've updated her Wikipedia page with the two additional books I found on Amazon. If anyone learns of any books she illustrated between 2006 and the present that are not "Leonce and Lena" by Jurg Amann or "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" by JK Rowling, let me know. Otherwise, I'll consider the case closed.
#9 - July 17, 2018, 03:41 PM

Poster Plus
Good for you, beardedillustrations!!! That's wonderful!!

#10 - July 17, 2018, 03:43 PM

Members: