SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture Book Dummy Format as Author/Illustrator

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Hello All,
I've read "The Book" and tried searching the forums to find the answer to this question, and so far I have not had any luck.
I'm prepping my dummy for submission and I am not sure if I am supposed to insert the text on each as I imagine it or if
I should just submit the text as a separate document and submit the dummy as illustrations that have no text accompanying them.

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere, but I'm new to the bluebird (and SCBWI), and I joined to be part of this community, so I figure it's about time that Ibe brave and ask a question instead of hoping the answer is just beamed into my brain.

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction or who might have the answer.
Brandon
 :running
#1 - July 19, 2018, 02:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi Brandon, welcome!!!:)
I sub a dummy with the text on each page but other Author/Illustators will sub text in manuscript format with just a few Illustrations to show their vision/style (of course then that's not a true dummy is it:) Even if the art is only sketchy pencil, I think it's nice to see the flow of the the text to page turn in a dummy done like this.
For all kinds of member questions/answers regarding dummies, you can do a search (top right of this page) using the word dummy.
#2 - July 19, 2018, 04:06 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I am not an illustrator but my understanding is that a dummy would contain what would be in the book but without finished art except on a spread or two. The other pages would be sketched. Often the manuscript is submitted separately with the dummy in manuscript format.
#3 - July 19, 2018, 09:10 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region indiana
Thank you both so much for your responses. Now I'll  get this thing finished up and sent out.
#4 - July 20, 2018, 03:19 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I put the text in the dummy. Depending on the publishers submission guidelines I may or may not include the text as a manuscript as well.
Good Luck with your submissions!
#5 - July 20, 2018, 04:42 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Members: