SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Writer's retreats

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
ARE THERE ANY RETREATS DEDICATED TO CHILDREN'S B00K WRITERS.
THANKS
#1 - August 02, 2018, 06:55 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Welcome to the boards, Mara!

I keep a list of such events on my blog. You can see them here: http://vonnacarter.com/wordpress/craft-writers-workshops/
Most of the events listed there are specifically for children's writers and illustrators but a few are general craft workshops that can apply to writers of any genre or age group.

#2 - August 03, 2018, 06:38 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
Independent Publisher Gallery
KidLit Agents/Editors @ Conferences, Workshops/Retreats/Online Workshops
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
Welcome Mara!

Vonna's link is a great resource. Another one I like to refer children's writers to is the KidLit411 website. They have a page for retreats and conferences: http://www.kidlit411.com/2013/12/kidlit411-conferences-workshops.html

Happy searching and good luck finding the right fit for you!
#3 - August 03, 2018, 06:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Hi Mara. Information on the kidlit world is vast, so it can be overwhelming. Googling a topic can be a good place to start. Try typing Children's Writer's Retreats 2018 in your Google box and see what you come up with.  It can be a fun search.   :star2
#4 - August 03, 2018, 08:19 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Thank you for these resources. Helpful!
#5 - August 03, 2018, 07:42 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi ,  :new
   Does anyone know anything about the writer's retreats sponsored by Highlights Foundation. org?
I saw this
September 9–September 12, 2018 The Journey: A Crash Course in How to Write Books for Children 2018
Get serious about writing your children’s book–and explore your path to publication. Just how do you write a children’s book–where >>
REGISTER
Business of Publishing
Novels
Picture Books

Any Thoughts? Thanks!! Julie
#6 - August 15, 2018, 01:16 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
IMO, anything by the Highlights foundation is legit and a worthwhile investment in your craft.  I had the opportunity to go to Chautauqua back in the day and it was the best money spent on learning my craft. Just wish I hadn't been such a newbie at the time and had soaked it all in just a tad more.   :running2
#7 - August 15, 2018, 01:42 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I hear so many good things about Highlights retreats. They aren't cheap, but I hear they are well worth their price. Definitely on my bucket list!
#8 - August 15, 2018, 01:50 PM

I went to the PBJ (picture book) workshop in June at highlights.  I can't say enough good things about it. Find a way to go to one!!
#9 - August 15, 2018, 03:18 PM
MG: SCHOOL OF CHARM
BACK ON THE MAP
Chapter Books:
ENCHANTED PONY ACADEMY
THE WISH FAIRY
MERMAIDS TO THE RESCUE '19
PBs:
GOODNIGHT LAGOON  '19

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
IMO, anything by the Highlights foundation is legit and a worthwhile investment in your craft.  I had the opportunity to go to Chautauqua back in the day and it was the best money spent on learning my craft. Just wish I hadn't been such a newbie at the time and had soaked it all in just a tad more.   :running2

This. If you are very new to writing, these retreats can be overwhelming.

The farther along you are in your journey the more you will get out of them. I've been to both Chautauqua and a weekend retreat and both came at just the right time for me. I highly recommend them. They also have scholarships.
#10 - August 15, 2018, 05:53 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I have never heard a bad thing about one of their programs. I haven't been yet, but it's also on my bucket list for as soon as the kids don't need attention and I can manage the travel and costs.
#11 - August 15, 2018, 06:25 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I went to Chautauqua with the Highlights Foundation and loved it. They put so much into their events.

You can also search for SCBWI events near you: https://www.scbwi.org/events-home/
#12 - August 16, 2018, 01:46 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
    Thanks to all who responded about the Highlights Foundation Writers Retreat.
 I am going to the Sept 9-12 session I mentioned. I am really looking forward to the experience!
    Julie
#13 - August 17, 2018, 07:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
That's so wonderful Julie!!!
#14 - August 17, 2018, 11:13 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
 :yay It looks fantastic, Julie. Enjoy every minute of it. I hope you'll tell us all about it. :)
#15 - August 18, 2018, 10:43 PM

Members: