SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Etiquette question

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
I submitted two math puzzles to Highlights over the past few months. Yesterday I got an email rejecting both - but it was personalized, giving specifics on what to do differently to match what they're looking for right now.

This may sound like a stupid question, but should I reply to the email? Part of me wants to say thank you for this useful information, but on the other hand if they had to close submissions for three months they are probably busy enough without having a random email in their inbox. I just don't want to come off as rude, either by ignoring them or by bothering them. Is it usual to reply to a personalized rejection?
#1 - August 13, 2018, 11:09 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Brandy, that's great you got some feedback on your submissions. I don't reply because they get enough mail as it is, but what I like to do is mention how helpful their comments are in a following submission. Good luck with your next sub!
#2 - August 13, 2018, 11:13 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
Vijaya is right on! They obviously like your stuff.  Next time mention the comments -- I hope you're  successful.

Good luck!
#3 - August 13, 2018, 01:44 PM
Kell Andrews
www.kellandrews.com
Twitter @kellandrewsPA

THE BOOK DRAGON, Sterling, October 2, 2018
MIRA FORECASTS THE FUTURE, Sterling, 2016

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I also thank them when I send in the next submission, and I mention the comments specifically. But only if I took all of their advice. Otherwise, I don't remind them of what they said.
#4 - August 13, 2018, 06:12 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Thank you guys so much! That sounds like a good plan, I definitely plan to submit more puzzles taking their notes into consideration so I'll mention it then.

And thank you all for putting up with my many newbie questions! Sometimes it feels like, with the odds always being so low, the entire publishing industry is a minefield where even if what you've made is good, one misstep means nobody will even look at it. It's so helpful to be able to talk to people who have navigated that minefield!
#5 - August 14, 2018, 08:18 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
No problem. We've all been newbies and often feel like newbies again when we reach a new phase.
#6 - August 14, 2018, 05:51 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: