SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Quantum Mechanics -- Help

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
I've watched hours of video on youtube, read commentaries, and signed out books from the library.  I'm not a science major and, although I can now better understand some of the references made on The Big Bang Theory and find the Double Slit Experiment fascinating, my grasp on the subject is woefully deficient (I was even captivated by Quantum Field Theory or a short time ).  :duh

If you have an understanding of quantum mechanics, I would appreciate a review of the following excerpt from my story. It's only a passing reference in an upper MG fantasy, but the premise is fundamental to the story line.  It must resonate as though the speaker knows the topic which he references in a fantastical way.  :thanx

“The glow that you see pulsating from the peaks is the force that orders the laws of science to operate. It is, in fact, the source from which all forces originate. You have been instructed in the sciences, have you not?”

Adam nodded.

“Tell me, Adam. What would be the outcome for your world if fundamental forces did not exist or if they could not operate as they should? What if the Strong Force ceased to work at the subatomic level? What would be the consequences to the atom? What would be the effect on your world?”

In sixth grade, Adam had made a model of an atom. His science teacher had mentioned something about quantum mechanics, but the class wasn’t expected to understand it. Adam bit down on his lower lip. Melchizedek’s question sounded an awful lot like quantum mechanics.

“I guess the nucleus—and so the atom—would fall apart. Nothing could exist.”

The glint in Melchizedek’s eyes told Adam that, had Melchizedek been his sixth grade teacher, he would have given him a gold star. Melchizedek continued.

“The mountain's ordering force is not detectable. However, it flows into your world whenever the ancient book's portal is open, replenishing a supply that has deleted over time. Because you are the last one able to open the portal, it is imperative that you give your world its own source of the mountain's force lest your world cease to exist.”
#1 - August 18, 2018, 07:19 AM
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS ROCK!
     (Pun intended/see Avatar)
:books

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Your story sounds interesting! I'm not a physicist, but have read quite a bit on my own. The following may be more detailed than you need to incorporate in a middle grade novel:

My understanding is that since Einstein, physicists have attempted to come up with a Grand Unified Theory, a model in which at extremely high energies (such as at the instant of the Big Bang), the strong force, weak force, and electromagnetic force would merge into a single force. No single model has yet emerged that is currently agreed upon and doesn't have problems. The attempt to merge these three forces with the fourth known force, gravity, is called a Theory of Everything, and has yet to be realized. These models are considered part of quantum field theory.
#2 - August 18, 2018, 10:25 AM
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 12:22 PM by Michael Sussman »
DUCKWORTH: THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region florida
Wonderful explanation! I always learn so much here at the BB. :)

The excerpt is very intriguing! Just wanted to mention a potential word swap for deleted:
 . . . replenishing a supply that has deleted over time. Perhaps instead, diminished over time, or has been depleted over time.
#3 - August 18, 2018, 10:41 AM
Ten Clever Ninjas (picture book, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)
Butterfly Girl (middle grade novel, Clear Fork Publishing, 2019)

Twitter: @kidlitSarah

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member

word swap for deleted:  . . . Perhaps instead, diminished over time.
:oops That's how the manuscript actually reads. Deleted was a mistype on the post.  :lol5
Thank you!

#4 - August 19, 2018, 03:40 AM
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS ROCK!

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
This makes perfect sense to me with the corrected word. (I'm no expert, but I read a lot of stuff and have copy edited science and tech articles for high school kids.)
#5 - September 13, 2018, 08:36 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
(I'm no expert, but I read a lot of stuff and have copy edited science and tech articles for high school kids.)
Thank you, Debbie.

#6 - September 14, 2018, 02:32 AM
MIDDLE GRADE BOOKS ROCK!

Members: