SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any recommendation for writing apps or notebooks ?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Dear fellow writers,

Just curious what app or software or notebook systems are you using for daily writing?  Especially when you are working on multiple projects and have lots of random notes to take.  Miscrosoft word is not very efficient, as it can not use tags for each entry I created.
Evernote seems to be an option. Is there any other tool that you would recommend for daily use?

Thanks very much!  :parrot
#1 - August 27, 2018, 01:10 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Scrivener is very popular, but I've never used it.
#2 - August 27, 2018, 02:02 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
You can download a trial version of Scrivener. The learning curve is steep but the format is amazing. I found the Scrivener for Dummies book very helpful, since the online manual at the time was a bit over my head.  :crossedfingers Maybe it has improved over the years?
#3 - August 27, 2018, 02:32 PM

Anne, has the Scrivener for Dummies book updated with the newer releases? I feel like I can do 85% of what I want to on Scrivener, but every so often I bump into these weird glitches and then I have to go down a rabbit hole of tech-babble to figure out how to fix them.

Sorry for the thread hijack! I do love Scrivener!
#4 - August 27, 2018, 04:47 PM
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Alas, Other Anne, I checked the Amazon listing and all I see is the 2012 edition. I've looked at some of the others out there and this one was the most helpful for me.

Edited to add: I just went to the author's website and see she has a link to various articles and classes. https://gwenhernandez.com/scrivener-corner/scrivener-for-dummies/   Also, I'm very impressed with her website! Good techniques there for monetizing a book that is old enough to start first grade!
#5 - August 27, 2018, 06:07 PM

Good techniques there for monetizing a book that is old enough to start first grade!

:lol5

Thanks, Other Anne! I remember you mentioning her book a few times, so maybe I will just buy it anyway. Though you're right, her website is pretty amazing--so many resources and so many ways to spend money!
#6 - August 28, 2018, 04:40 PM
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 04:43 PM by annemleone »
critically-yours.blogspot.com

Members: