SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What Genre is Annie?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I'm writing a story and it's inspired by the Broadway musical Annie. I'm trying to figure out what genre the play is, exactly. I've searched a bit online and the general consensus is that genre is simply a "Broadway musical," but I don't want to believe that. If anyone knows or at least think of genre they think Annie should fit in, then please do tell me!   ::-)
#1 - September 13, 2018, 06:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
That is how the genre would be expressed from a theatrical perspective. There are musicals and plays. Plays can be dramas or comedies, but musicals aren't split.

If Annie were a book, I think it would be a middle grade. I forget how old she's supposed to be. Since it was written after the time period it takes place in, it might also be thought of as a historical piece. But it's based on a comic strip.

What genre Annie is may not relate to the genre your final story is. It might be good to finish it and then see where you stand.
#2 - September 13, 2018, 08:41 PM
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:19 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yup. As a book you consider the age of the main character as well as the maturity level of the story. So, this would likely be MG.
#3 - September 14, 2018, 02:13 PM
ROYALLY ENTITLED (inspirational/historical YA) and OOPS-A-DAISY (humorous MG) out now.  http://www.melodydelgado.com/

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
That is how the genre would be expressed from a theatrical perspective. There are musicals and plays. Plays can be dramas or comedies, but musicals aren't split.

If Annie were a book, I think it would be a middle grade. I forget how old she's supposed to be. Since it was written after the time period it takes place in, it might also be thought of as a historical piece. But it's based on a comic strip.

What genre Annie is may not relate to he genre your final story is. It might be good to finish it and then see where you stand.

Thanks for the extra insight!
#4 - September 15, 2018, 10:38 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thanks! You guys are a big help
#5 - September 15, 2018, 10:39 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region easternny
I think it would be MG if it were a novel, because the main characters are around 12-ish.
#6 - September 15, 2018, 05:43 PM
NED THE KNITTING PIRATE, GRIMELDA series,
CITY SHAPES, DORIS THE BOOKASAURUS, ONE SNOWY DAY, PIZZA PIG, and more...
http://www.dianamurray.com

Annie is one of those films which is spread across a broad spectrum. Also, it can appeal to a wide audience and you might need to consider that most wouldn't consider it to have ever been a book. What might associate it as a film musical, or adapted for the stage.
It could work as a book, but you'd really need to research the relevance of that type of plot in today's market. Opinions on that topic have changed dramatically!
Personal opinion.
#7 - September 17, 2018, 06:16 AM

I’m a theater professional. We would call the stage musical “Annie” a work of musical theater, or more specifically a musical comedy. Or, as you read, a Broadway musical (although that term is used more outside the industry than inside). Some might also call it a comic book musical. In terms of translating this all to book terms, I agree with the posts above.
#8 - September 19, 2018, 06:33 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
I’m a theater professional. We would call the stage musical “Annie” a work of musical theater, or more specifically a musical comedy. Or, as you read, a Broadway musical (although that term is used more outside the industry than inside). Some might also call it a comic book musical. In terms of translating this all to book terms, I agree with the posts above.

Thanks for the insight! I would agree with the post of above as well. I'm not a theatre professional but I worked as an usher at San Francisco Orpheum theatre for 4 years and grew to love the art form :) Although, most shows that played at my theatre were musicals.
#9 - September 19, 2018, 07:22 PM

Members: