SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Request for pricing advice?

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region nymetro
Dear fellow illustrators,
I am new to SCBWI and a newbie on Blueboard  :new and have a question custom illustration pricing.  I've been contacted by a magazine based out of Japan (the NY office contacted me). They are interested in having me do a monthly illustration for a column in their magazine (12 illustrations total).  From what I can tell so far, the illustrations look like they'd need to fit in a 1/2 banner (smallish horizontally oriented rectangle at the top of the page.)  They are asking for figure illustrations, though I've explained that given the small size of the proposed illustration, a head/torso illustration would work better than a full figure illustration.  I asked if they have a budget in mind, but haven't heard back.  This would be the first time I'm doing a multi-illustration magazine project, so I'd welcome any advice on how to proceed with pricing.  Thanks for your help!  Joana
#1 - September 16, 2018, 06:34 PM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I'm answering more than a month after you posted, so it's possible the answer is moot.  However, the one thing that stood out to me from what you wrote was this. 

Make certain what dimensions they're talking about.   "Looks like" isn't good enough.  Get that pinned down first so you know exactly what you're doing.  It's possible the reason that full figures don't quite seem right to you for this image size/dimensions is that you have misunderstood the dimensions they want.  Or the level of detail.  If possible, see if they'll send you a sample of previous work (or see if you can track it down online) so you have a better idea what they're looking for. 

Good luck!
#2 - October 18, 2018, 08:34 PM
Karen B. Jones

Members: