SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Beaming Books Picture Book Contest 2018

Discussion started on

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
Last  year this was called the Sparkhouse Family Picture book Contest. Sparkhouse Family is Beaming Books now, so this is the same contest some of us entered last year.  I think the prize money is a little less this year, but it's a $3,000 prize, so nothing to sneeze at!

Deadline is Nov. 14.
https://beamingbooks.submittable.com/submit/124333/beaming-books-picture-book-writing-contest-2018

This year I am going to think VERY strategically about this. I have been browsing the Beaming Books website to see what kind of books they already have coming out. I recommend doing the same to see if you already have something that might fit.
#1 - September 24, 2018, 09:16 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Thank you Teresa!!!
#3 - September 25, 2018, 05:13 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thanks for the info, Teresa!
#4 - September 25, 2018, 07:39 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Thanks, Teresa! I think I remember looking at this last year, but I got the impression the faith message had to be pretty overt and I didn't have anything that was a fit. Nice prize though!
#5 - September 25, 2018, 04:03 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
The page says to read the "full terms and conditions" to learn more, but I don't see those anywhere. Am I missing something?
#6 - September 25, 2018, 08:56 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I can't find full terms and conditions for the contest, either, Debbie. I clicked on the link to the home website and scrolled down to the bottom of the page where there is a link to Terms, but it is only general terms for the site and company, not for the contest.
#7 - September 26, 2018, 08:33 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
The link to the Terms of Use is at the bottom of the contest page. You have to click that you agree to the Terms of Use before you can submit.

I can't believe that they still have listed in the rules that one we all disagreed with last year and which they said applicants could ignore. Why haven't they removed it from the rules????  :grrr

3. b. vi. The manuscript must NOT have been previously published; and the manuscript must NOT have been previously submitted to any third party for any purpose (including, without limitation, to any publisher, entertainment entity or other third party, or in any other contest or promotion), and will not be submitted to any other third party until the winner in this Contest is announced;
#8 - September 26, 2018, 09:17 AM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:04 PM by Ev »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
I'm not seeing it, Ev. Do you have to create an account first?

I remember the discussion about rule 3. b. vi. from last year. So frustrating that they haven't changed it.
#9 - September 26, 2018, 09:22 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
I don't know, Laurel. I do have a Submittable account because I've submitted through them many times before.

The Terms of Use button is right above the page-wide orange Submit button. Do you see the Submit button on your screen?
#10 - September 26, 2018, 01:02 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Thanks, Ev.

That clause would mean I can't submit anything I've written. All of my manuscripts have been seen by third parties, crit partners. I know they really just don't want work that's out with industry professionals who might offer to buy it out from under them, but that's not what they say.

I'm also not thrilled that they say "Sponsor may also share this information with select marketing partners, who may use it to contact you with information and offers they believe will be of interest to you. " It makes the contest feel like a way to get my data for sale.
#11 - September 26, 2018, 06:00 PM
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:43 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ev, thank you for digging this up. My brain is foggy but I'm starting to remember my reservations.
#12 - September 26, 2018, 07:35 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Thanks, Ev. I'm not seeing an orange, page-wide Submit button, but I'll dig around some more if I decide to pursue this. Like Debbie, though, I definitely have reservations.
#13 - September 27, 2018, 09:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
That's right. I had forgotten, but now I remember about the reservations with this contest.
#14 - September 27, 2018, 05:07 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
I can't believe they left this in!
3. b. vi. The manuscript must NOT have been previously published; and the manuscript must NOT have been previously submitted to any third party for any purpose (including, without limitation, to any publisher, entertainment entity or other third party, or in any other contest or promotion), and will not be submitted to any other third party until the winner in this Contest is announced;

#15 - September 27, 2018, 07:08 PM

Poster Plus
Just bumping this up to remind everyone we have only a couple more days until the deadline.

(And thanks SO much for posting about it, Teresa!! I'd have been heartbroken to miss the opportunity this year. )
#16 - November 12, 2018, 11:25 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canorthcentral
You're welcome, Carrots!

I just submitted my entry! Now we wait! I noticed that the date they set for responding is much later this time. I am sure that's good for them, but it's going to be hard waiting until Feb. 1 to find out who won.
#17 - November 13, 2018, 09:17 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I'm in too! Thanks to Carrots for the reminder  :love5  Waiting won't be too hard--there are so many stories swirling in my head. I submit, record, and forget about it. Good luck to all.  :clover :clover :clover
#18 - November 14, 2018, 06:00 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
 :clover :clover :clover
For all who entered!
#19 - November 14, 2018, 06:13 AM
Vehicle Dreams Series-RPKids '16 -'18
(Fire Truck, Bulldozer, Race Car)
Rainy Day Picnic-Read Your Story '18
The Sparrow and The Trees- Arbordale '15

Poster Plus
I'm out. My form rejection arrived today.

Congrats to the winner, Audrey Perrot, who won for Moo Hoo Mabel!!

Onward!!

#20 - January 25, 2019, 10:58 AM

Members: