SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Copy-Right?

Discussion started on

APU, please redirect me.
I'm still working on my Monster Monologues, which is written in the first person. However, parts of it are beginning to seem a little like Monsters University.
After speaking to Colleen, the Irish SCBWI Administrator, she suggested that it is almost impossible to be completely original in today's market.
Any advice? :thanx
#1 - October 09, 2018, 05:47 AM

Poster Plus

Oh, Fiona, I've lamented about this very thing on these boards. The consensus: there's no such thing as an original idea. What's original is the way each writer presents it.

With that, please don't fret.  :hug  Unless the plot or characters of Monster Monologues is the same as Monsters University, you don't need to worry.

When I'm bothered by writing concerns, it helps me to walk away from the manuscript for a while. In the meantime, I clean my palate by writing something totally different. Later, I'm able to return to the piece with fresh eyes and renewed energy. 

Best wishes!

#2 - October 09, 2018, 06:27 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Carrots and Colleen are both right. No such thing as an original idea, just how you present it. You will have your own unique way to present the story. If you are worried that it might be too similar, maybe it is, and you can think of how you can make yours different. But sometimes we worry more than we ought.

One of the things Tammi Sauer shared at the Carolinas conference was her story about a valentine book. She read all that were in her library to make sure hers would be different and she wrote Mostly Monsterly. Her editor wanted it not to be a valentine story so she revised it so that it could be used throughout the year and that's how the book is now. By the way, this was acted out with volunteers with Tammi as narrator, and it is hilarious. If ever Tammi is presenting near you, GO!!!
#3 - October 09, 2018, 08:23 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Not likely,  vijaya,  unfortunately.  We had our quarterly meet up last weekend with just myself and Colleen in attendance. There are so few writers of children's fiction in Ireland &  even less illustrators.
My aim is to gdt to a UK conference before my life ends.  Hopefully a few years away.  :yourock :rip
#4 - October 16, 2018, 05:55 AM

Members: