SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How to Save Research Found on the Internet

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Hello,

I'm working on a biography and various picture books.  I research, even for fiction picture books. I, also, save information on topics of interest. Now I have too many bookmarks on Google and it's very difficult to find what I need.  I, also, save the website addresses on word, but think there must be a better way to access them quickly.

Would appreciate suggestions on how to save the information and have it handy to use it in my writing.  Thanks for your ideas.
#1 - October 15, 2018, 09:30 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Pinterest! Add the Pinterest extension for your browser so you can save images from most webpages (some sites block it). The images you save to Pinterest contain the link to the page so you don't have to.
#2 - October 15, 2018, 09:41 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
That's so cool, Vonna.

I still print out entire articles with links because I clearly need to shuffle through actual papers to get my brain going :grin3 
I am very low tech, but the system works for me. Research for each book goes into its own separate folder (both physical and electronic).
#3 - October 15, 2018, 10:32 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I use Evernote to save them.  When you create an account with them, you get the "evernote clipper" which you just click on when on a website. Then you create a note and can even select what notebook you want to save that clipping to. If you're curious, check it out at www.evernote.com. They have a free option, though at some point I think I've paid for a version that had more memory or capability or something. I have found Evernote helpful in so many ways as a writer of NF PBs. . . .
#4 - October 15, 2018, 10:33 AM

Zotero! It's a free reference manager.  :goldstar

You download their program and extension from their website (Safari is no longer supported, if you're using a Mac, so you'll need Chrome or another browser). Then, when you're on a website you want to save, you literally just push the extension button to save it to your computer. Along with a snapshot of the webpage, it automatically adds bibliographical information (e.g. author, date written, date accessed, etc.). When you're ready to add a reference list in Word, it automatically (!) makes a reference list for you!! There are a variety of citation types you can use, too.

Plus, you can add tags to each webpage/article so that they're searchable within Zotero. I always use whatever topic I'm working on as well as what the link is for (e.g. "roller coasters" and "Muse April 2018). That way, when I go to add my citations, all I have to do is search for the assignment (e.g. "Muse April 2018") and all of the references I used will show up.

Seriously, I don't know how I could stay organized without it!

...Oh, and the best part is it's free  :yay
#5 - October 15, 2018, 10:38 AM
Twitter: rebeccaefbarone

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region houston
Becca, I hadn't heard of Zotero before. Sounds interesting!  :thanks2
#6 - October 15, 2018, 10:51 AM
http://www.vonnacarter.com
twitter @VonnaCarter

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Zotero, wow. I came here to say that if you're using Scrivener you can save links to your pages easily enough to a "reference" file, but it's nowhere near as easy as Zotero seems to be!
#7 - October 15, 2018, 12:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
I usually copy and paste the article and the links into a Word document.
#8 - October 15, 2018, 03:28 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, IT'S YOUR FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, BUSY BUS!, EMERGENCY KITTENS!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I create folder in my books marks and label them with the project title and theme or content. So a nonfiction on medieval art might have these bookmark labels: Art in Churches Europe, Art in castles Europe, Art in Museums Europe. You get the idea.
#9 - October 15, 2018, 06:12 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region caribbeannorth
Wow! You're all so resourceful!  I will try to diversify my use of Pinterest and check out Evernote and Zotero.

It's, also, interesting knowing about the different strategies that you use.  What works for each one is the best!  Any other ideas welcomed.

Thanks for sharing.
#10 - October 15, 2018, 07:57 PM

Members: