SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How much history?

Discussion started on

By this I mean, how much of a work has to have the original timeline to constitute historical fiction? I'm not talking a case of science fiction fantasy, except maybe when the two MCs meet

So much as when some books are partially set in a historical setting (in my case the 1800s), and the other portion of the work is set either in the present day or the very near future? (2018-2025).

Would I just market this (assuming self-publishing) as science fiction? It seems like a lot of science fiction readers would be confused if part of the story is set in the 19th century.

One MC is living in the late middle 1800s (the French Commune era), and early 2020s (2018 is basically psycho-socially 2020.)

Even if one could query it, it seems like something could be "Historical Science Fiction", which seems to be word my historical fiction fans seem to call it at this point.

There is already Historical Fantasy, I know this from friends who have written it.
#1 - October 16, 2018, 09:46 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Is there any time traveling? Or is it just how events from the past are affecting the current/present timeline? If there are no scifi elements, I would probably just query it as FICTION and not worry about historical or not, though generally I would think not since half the book takes place in the present.
#2 - October 17, 2018, 04:35 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I'd go with "science fiction with a historical element," but only if you are really being accurate to the historical time period. It might also be fantasy. This depends on how much the science play into the story and how accurate the science is. The blurb in your query will explain what SF with a historical element means.
#3 - October 17, 2018, 06:39 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I'd go with "science fiction with a historical element," but only if you are really being accurate to the historical time period. It might also be fantasy. This depends on how much the science play into the story and how accurate the science is. The blurb in your query will explain what SF with a historical element means.

Yea this one blurb basically introduces an ordinary character in an extraordinary situation: A writer who must reject their family profession as a public executioner in the "Future Wild West",

Portions are set in the 1870s of Paris France (I'm a huge French-Western fan, a lot of these are so bad they're good.)

Not sure how this will translate to Middle Grade, but Young Adult wont be so difficult.
#4 - October 19, 2018, 09:13 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Again, go for it.
#5 - October 20, 2018, 06:46 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: