SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Illustrating Colored Ends

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hi there! Quite a way to scroll down past the smileys! 😜

I know the difference between self-ends and colored/separate ends. I am wondering whether any sort of printing/illustration is at all possible on the colored ends themselves.  Even as "basic" as black text on a white page. Thank you!

Austin 🙂
#1 - October 22, 2018, 02:54 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I've seen books that have printed coloured separate end pages - Debbie Ohi's Scribble comes to mind. Have a peek in the library/bookstore. I think its usually 1 (maybe 2 colors) at the most.
#2 - October 22, 2018, 05:09 PM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
You mean by Ruth Ohi, right? Might be hard to find since it's in Canada...:P
#3 - October 22, 2018, 05:46 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Ooopsie... Yes I meant Ruth. The end pages have a scribble across them - I think it's purple on pink paper. I've seen others though too, it's just the one that pops into my mind first as I have it at home.
#4 - October 23, 2018, 02:53 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Hi there! I'm curious about this as I feel like I'm not sure I understand the question. As I understand it, if you are referring to the endpapers, it will depend on a few things such as your overall page count, but I treat the endpapers as a normal illustration spread- full colour (although no words and nothing that is absolutely integral to the story- more a decoration or final thought). 

Some books have them, others don't. If you're looking for examples, have a look on amazon at a book that has a 'look inside' option, you should be able to see the endpapers in some stories. I'm going to try a useful example/shameless plug here and link you to one of mine:

https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Piranha-Who-Went-Dinner/dp/0062335375/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0062335375&pd_rd_r=0b7ce339-d6c7-11e8-9d6c-c9b18a29d030&pd_rd_w=1P4U0&pd_rd_wg=Lg2LU&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=XZSAKV6VBBYMV85E7YS9&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=XZSAKV6VBBYMV85E7YS9

On this one, the endpapers are the pages with the plates and cutlery.  Then it's the inside inside cover, then the story starts. All pages had the same printing options- no restrictions on the endpapers.
Hope that helps, and if I'm missing something here, I'd love to know!
Thanks,
Tadgh
#5 - October 23, 2018, 06:31 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Tadgh,

On the Look Inside preview I see for your book, there doesn't appear to be a preview available for your endpaper pages, unless I'm mistaken. From your description, I wonder if you have self-ends as opposed to the separate ends/colored ends I'm talking about? I have never seen a separate-ended book with as much full color illustration as you describe (plates and cutlery), but then again, that is why I made this thread!

Also, if anyone has The Book With No Pictures handy...I was looking at that and it appears that it actually is a separate-ended book, with illustrated endpapers (big text of varying sizes over a white background) and an actual book block of 48 pages...which would be exactly what I'm talking about. Would someone be able to confirm this or tell me I am wrong? :)
#6 - October 23, 2018, 09:23 AM

Members: