SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

School Magazine of Australia

Discussion started on

I was reading the formatting requirements for submissions.

Each manuscript should begin with the following information:
your name (and pen name, if this is different)
your email address
which of our topics the text relates to, if this is applicable
word count for stories, articles, plays and activities, line count for poems
four or five key words to help us identify the topics, themes, styles, and subjects
a statement verifying that the work is original and that you have the right to submit it to us
if the work has been previously published, details of when and where it was published

Does this sound like they want a cover letter (with all the requested information) on the Word Doc before the actual manuscript which would be underneath?  Or just bullet-pointed information leading into the manuscript.  What would go in the body of the email if not the cover letter?  I keep hearing of editors rejecting things simply because of formatting they don't like, so I want to try to clarify this before sending anything their way!  I was hoping someone has worked with this publication before and knows what they want. Also assuming you don't have to live in Australia to submit, since it doesn't specify.

Thank you in advance!
#1 - October 23, 2018, 08:15 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've not worked with this magazine but it sounds like they want this at the top of the ms, in the header.  Except for the keywords and theme, all this info typically goes in the header. You should always have a cover letter too, just to introduce yourself. It needn't be long. Good luck!

I remember others who've worked with this magazine so I hope they chime in.
#2 - October 23, 2018, 10:46 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
If you Google novel manuscript format, you'll see that these items are used traditionally, except the ones Vijaya points out. I'd format accordingly.

There are plenty of threads on cover letters here. They include the reason you're sending to the publisher, the facts about the manuscript, including much of the info asked for on it and a brief plot summary, and a little about you.
#3 - October 23, 2018, 09:17 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Thank you. It was just confusing to me because it sounds like they are asking essentially for a cover letter on top of the attached manuscript, so I wasn't sure what to do in the body of the email!
#4 - October 24, 2018, 06:17 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Gbug, you can submit and sell to them even if you're not an Australian. I've sold them many stories and found them to be great to work with.  I don't have anything to add on the formatting; I haven't submitted since they added those guidelines, but I'd agree with what the others said.
#5 - October 26, 2018, 09:50 AM
"No furniture is so charming as books."
--Sydney Smith

http://saramatson.com/

Well, I did submit and was rejected pretty quickly.  At least they were fast. Thanks everyone for the advice!
#6 - November 29, 2018, 08:46 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Sorry to hear that, Gbug. Keep trying. They're a wonderful publisher!
#7 - November 29, 2018, 10:13 AM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Hugs to you, Gbug.  :hug
#8 - November 30, 2018, 04:54 AM

Members: