SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Submitting a Comic Book for Young Readers?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My son asked if we could make a comic book together (he meant I make it & he'd just help with the ideas/words - I was hoping he'd help draw). Of course it's turned into my project to make my kids laugh. My intention was to print it out for him to share/enjoy with his friends and perhaps even ask if our local comic book store would stock a few to sell on commission. (yes - minicomic/self-publishing model). But now I'm wondering if perhaps I should explore the option of finding a traditional publisher just because.... (& still print a few copies for my kids to share with their friends in the meantime). Assuming I can come up with enough pages to make it work for a traditional publisher!

I'm not sure it will be "good enough" and perhaps my jokes might be lame but we're really excited about it.

Anyway, it's definitely not a graphic novel but would be a series of one page comics - some of which follow a general story line. (ie Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, etc although I'd never compare it to those in a query letter!)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice/thoughts/experience in pitching something like this.
#1 - November 28, 2018, 06:42 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I don't have any advice, but it certainly sounds like a lot of fun. It never hurts to try and the unique format might just find the right editor at the right time. First, I'd run it past a few trusted readers for feedback, though (which means I guess I do have advice  :cheesy ) Good luck!
#2 - December 01, 2018, 01:02 PM
CALL ME AMY (Luminis Books, 2013)
AMY'S CHOICE (Luminis Books, 2014)
ROLLER BOY (Fitzroy Books, 2018)
www.marciastrykowski.com
Twitter: @MarciaStry

Members: