SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Small infraction

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
What would be a small infraction that a teen boy might make/get that may go on his record and may mar an otherwise good reputation but not send him to the pokey?    :innocent
#1 - November 30, 2018, 05:19 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Golly, I know something about small infarctions :grin3  They're called misdemeanors. Ex. Writing defacing public property. See, I was a writer long before I knew it.
#2 - November 30, 2018, 06:32 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region epa
I'm on a community Youth Aid Panel which works with kids to keep them from getting a record. I see youth (14 to 17) with minor arrests which would keep them out of some schools, jobs, etc. if they went through the courts. The community has to have a YAP and the arresting officer and victim have to agree to put the youth through this program instead of through the court system.  If they complete the program, they have no record.

These are some things we've had which would be considered minor but still give them a record:

1. Smashing mailboxes or other minor destruction of property
2. Graffitti
3. Attending a party where there is underage drinking marijuana/ or being arrested for underage drinking/marijuana (not if a car is involved, though). Pennsylvania is a guilt-by-association state, so just attending a party where there are drugs or underage drinking is an offense. Most kids don't even know that.
4. Petty theft (like make-up from a drugstore or something from a neighbor's garage or yard)
5. Trespassing

That's off the top of my head. If you need more, let me know.
#3 - November 30, 2018, 06:49 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
Golly, I know something about small infarctions: grin3  They're called misdemeanors. Ex. Writing defacing public property. See, I was a writer long before I knew it.

I will only guess at how you know this, Vijaya!   :dr

JFriday, what a wonderful program. I'm in Washington state as is my MC, so I will hunt for such a program. If no program, these suggestions are great. I want the infraction to be enough to scare said character and make him think even though he's forced into a situation he can't avoid, so several of these would work, I think.
#4 - December 01, 2018, 12:21 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I will only guess at how you know this, Vijaya!   :dr

I have a past! lol

#5 - December 01, 2018, 02:33 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com