SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Picture book or not picture book that is the question

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
My  Grandma has been telling me stories about growing up on the frontier. I have written them all down but now am thinking more seriously about trying to get them published but am not sure if i should write them as one chapter book  or a series of picture books   . 

Thanks Guys
#1 - December 30, 2018, 04:49 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
This is a hard decision. You'll have to try the format and see if it works. There may not be enough room for illustrations in each story to have it be a picture book. I've written a couple of my own grandmother's stories as short stories that I hope to sell to magazines.
#2 - December 30, 2018, 06:39 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Since you're not sure, why not play around and see what happens?  Maybe write the beginning in each genre and see which flows better.

Good luck! I hope the words flow.
#3 - December 30, 2018, 10:39 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
What a fun project! I've been writing a few family stories as well and the best way to discover what format works is to try it. I've sold a few to magazines. None were PB material--it really is a different animal. I'm finding that a collection of short stories is the best for the way I'm writing them (then again, I am a short story writer, so it's something I do well, thinking in vignettes). I know a few people who have written novelizations. Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larsen comes to mind. Good luck!
#4 - December 31, 2018, 07:30 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Yes, I think it's best to try out a few different approaches and see what speaks to you. Who knows? Maybe you will get a novel out of one story, and a magazine short story out of another one. You never know. :)
#5 - December 31, 2018, 09:57 AM

Members: