SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Genre of a story

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
My latest project has been a bit of a challenge for me since i am more familiar with PB. So my story revolves around  a 17 year old teacher who is growing up in America in the early  1900s. it does include   her falling in love. Is this  a YA a MG a historical fiction or a mix of several genre .   

Thanks  for your help

#1 - January 02, 2019, 04:24 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
If the main character is 17, I would think it would be a historical fiction YA. But I write PBs, so I'm hoping someone else chimes in!
#2 - January 02, 2019, 05:44 PM

Poster Plus
I want to read it already, Elizabeth!!

Your story is historical fiction and will be classified MG or YA, depending upon - generally speaking - word count, complexity of story, complexity of vocabulary, maturity of theme, etc.

That your MC falls in love doesn't automatically make the story YA. (After all, Harry Potter fell in love with Ginny, and Laura Ingalls fell in love with Almonzo.) It's how that love is acted upon and described that will determine whether your story is YA or MG.

Best wishes!! And congratulations on stepping out of your comfort zone into MG/YA territory!!

:stars3

#3 - January 02, 2019, 05:51 PM

Poster Plus
If the main character is 17, I would think it would be a historical fiction YA. But I write PBs, so I'm hoping someone else chimes in!

Oops! I cross-posted with you.

You make a really good point. It makes me wonder, then, if the later Harry Potter and Little House books - when the characters aged out of MG reader age - were more YA than MG. (I mention these examples because their content, though often intense in the case of Harry Potter, wasn't otherwise too "mature" for the MG audience.)

What say you, wise Blueboarders?

#4 - January 02, 2019, 05:58 PM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Thanks for the clarification  i am really finding my voice in the land of historical fiction
#5 - January 02, 2019, 06:30 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Oops! I cross-posted with you.

You make a really good point. It makes me wonder, then, if the later Harry Potter and Little House books - when the characters aged out of MG reader age - were more YA than MG. (I mention these examples because their content, though often intense in the case of Harry Potter, wasn't otherwise too "mature" for the MG audience.)

What say you, wise Blueboarders?

The later Harry Potter books are considered YA, but not just because of Harry's age and the love interests for all the characters. The themes also became darker. People died.

In the past, there were many books with older protagonists that were considered middle grade. Take Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.  Today, those books would be a very hard sell. A 17 yo protagonist is in a YA novel. The voice should match the hopes and dreams and voice of the characters.

I'm reminded of the old TV show, Christy. It was about a young teacher in Asheville, NC way back when. Good show, but short lived.

Oh, and YA and MG are age categories, not genres. They can contain books in just about any genre. (You won't find MG erotica, for example.) So, yes, you're writing an historical fiction YA.
#6 - January 02, 2019, 06:36 PM
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:38 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yes to the above...and especially Debbie's last point about MG/YA(and PB)--> these are *age categories* not *genres*   Many people are confused about this and mistakenly call PB/MG/YA a "genre." The genre of your story would be historical fiction. Best of luck with it, Elizabeth!
#7 - January 02, 2019, 08:47 PM
DREAM JOBS IN SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY (Rosen 2018)
THE GROSS SCIENCE OF BAD BREATH AND CAVITIES (Rosen 2019)

http://www.authorjessicashaw.com

Members: