SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

TMI: Pottermore

Discussion started on

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My daughter was complaining the other day about 'late reveals' in the Harry Potter world.

In her mind, if it's not in the book, then let the reader decide. Don't tell them ten years later they were wrong. [which is a separate discussion, I guess]

Anyway, the reveal on National Trivia Day (yesterday) from @pottermore, thoroughly disgusted her. Me as well.

It got 59,000 likes, but I think it falls into "Too Much Information"  :feelbad
#1 - January 05, 2019, 10:54 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
In her mind, if it's not in the book, then let the reader decide.

Yes. The more they "reveal," the *less* I imagine myself wanting to be part of that world. Story-wise, the worst for me was when they decided Voldemort and Bellatrix birthed an evil daughter. IOW, everything Harry went through was for naught. And I am so tired of trashing Ron and elevating Hermione beyond what either of them have coming.

But yeah, this latest. :green Besides being repulsive, it is totally illogical given known :wizard world rules. Methinks they should be careful of dissing Muggles. Clearly magic isn't a guarantee of an advanced society.  :feelbad
#2 - January 05, 2019, 01:28 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
You're making me glad we aren't Pottermore people here. The original books and movies are enough.
#3 - January 05, 2019, 06:12 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: