How to focus

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
Thanks for sharing! Very interesting article that confirms my own experiences. I taught a workshop this weekend that included tips on habitualizing your writing life with lots of parallels to these ideas, so I found it very interesting and affirming.
#2 - January 15, 2019, 06:05 AM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I just finished an excellent book: One Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan and this quote by Goethe is perfect: "Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least." I'll review it after I've done my ONE writing thing for the day!
#3 - January 15, 2019, 06:12 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thanks for sharing this article.
#4 - January 15, 2019, 10:16 AM

Social media is the biggest one. I had to completely write off certain social media websites, do to their toxic nature. I'm now a lot pickier about the ones that I do choose to still participate it.

Interestingly enough, in smaller communities, there is less of this tendency to be toxic: it's also a lot easier to find a community where toxic behaviour in general is not encouraged.

I also use blogs that are condusive to a writing and focusing environment, like Plume, where most of the posts are in a public feed, and isn't displayed directed on your blog feed. So in the case where someone writes something that really makes my blood boil, I'm not in a position where I feel like I have to pay attention to it.

I also completely write off Facebook that have a "it's not fine for you to be toxic, but fine for us to be toxic" kind of atmosphere. Facebook in general, I'm becoming increasingly dissappointed with, and I've never been a huge fan of the platform.
#5 - January 17, 2019, 01:05 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Members: