SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Roar Kids Magazine?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Anyone know anything about "Roar Kids Magazine"? It popped up on my Twitter today, and their website has submission guidelines and little else. Nothing about who they are, how often the mag will be published, in what format, etc. --which are huge red flags for me.

Any ideas? :eh2
#1 - January 17, 2019, 12:40 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yes... I asked the same question under a different section of the boards. They followed me too. I thought maybe they were just starting out and hadn’t completed setting up yet. But I definitely wouldn’t submit until there is more info.
#2 - January 17, 2019, 01:22 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes... I asked the same question under a different section of the boards. They followed me too. I thought maybe they were just starting out and hadn’t completed setting up yet. But I definitely wouldn’t submit until there is more info.

Somehow I missed your post when I looked through the boards today! I also have the impression that they're very new, but soliciting submissions before the website is fully set up is sure not the way to go about doing things.
#3 - January 17, 2019, 01:34 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Yes, agreed. Hopefully they will be a legitimate new magazine market. Let’s cross our fingers-especially since the market seems to shrink every day!
#4 - January 17, 2019, 01:38 PM
Anita N. Amin
RAJA’S PET CAMEL (Cardinal Rule Press, 2020); THE LEGACY OF RASHMI BAZAAR (Teacher Created Materials, Oct 2019)

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
They tracked me down on Twitter too. I didn't really question it until I saw your posts, so thanks for raising the question Tracy and Anita. I asked them for more details with a Twitter message, but haven't heard anything back. I might try a followup with another message or by email.
#5 - January 18, 2019, 04:04 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
A publisher tracking down authors without seeing any of the author's work is always worrisome to me. Brian, please let us know if you do get an answer.
#6 - January 18, 2019, 06:28 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
A publisher tracking down authors without seeing any of the author's work is always worrisome to me. Brian, please let us know if you do get an answer.

In my case, they “followed” me on Twitter but haven’t contacted me otherwise.

#7 - January 18, 2019, 07:22 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
They tracked me down on Twitter too. I didn't really question it until I saw your posts, so thanks for raising the question Tracy and Anita. I asked them for more details with a Twitter message, but haven't heard anything back. I might try a followup with another message or by email.

Another thing I found odd about their guidelines is that they said they’d inform the submitting writer of what rights they buy *after* a submission is accepted. Every magazine I’ve ever written for has that information as part of the submission guidelines. And really, why wouldn’t a publisher tell a writer what rights are purchased up front? I can’t think of any reason to withhold that information until after acceptance.
#8 - January 18, 2019, 07:28 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Same for me, I saw that I had a new follower. "Tracked me down" was perhaps too strong of a description.

They just mentioned that they will release more details in another day or two, so that's promising!
#9 - January 19, 2019, 12:38 PM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region florida
Oh that’s great! It will be interesting to see what format they will publish (print or online) and the editors involved. Thanks for sharing that info, Brian!
#10 - January 19, 2019, 12:42 PM
Anita N. Amin

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
They just mentioned that they will release more details in another day or two, so that's promising!

I'm always happy to see a new market. Here's hoping this is a legit and good one.
#11 - January 19, 2019, 08:21 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
I, too, was followed on Twitter. When I sat down today to consider submitting, I noticed they are no longer following me. Did this happen to anyone else? All of the above comments are helpful, so thank you!
#12 - February 15, 2019, 10:26 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I, too, was followed on Twitter. When I sat down today to consider submitting, I noticed they are no longer following me. Did this happen to anyone else? All of the above comments are helpful, so thank you!

They're no longer following me, but to be fair, I'm not following them. They have expanded the guidelines on their website slightly:

"How much do we pay:
.25¢ per word
After we approve a manuscript, we will send you instructions on the rights we would like to acquire and payment information. If we need you to edit the article, we will specify the changes that need to be made. The contract will be signed after we accept the revisions, if any."

So it's good that they're specifying pay rate, but a little weird that they don't say what rights they want until after they approve the ms.

Also a little weird that the contract isn't signed until after revisions are accepted. Highlights sort of does this, but Highlights rejects a submission with revision suggestions and invites you to resubmit; they don't provisionally accept a submission and then not offer a contract until the revisions are accepted.
#13 - February 15, 2019, 11:08 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wpa
Hello,

If people are still watching this topic, I’m curious to know if anyone has jumped in despite the unknowns. I am considering submitting, but would love to know if there are  serious, quality writers that have taken this risk, or if it is just the newbies.
#14 - May 01, 2019, 07:25 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Jessica, there's another thread about this magazine here--
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=87899.0

And you can also see response times of some people who have subbed to here--
https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?topic=88136.0
#15 - May 01, 2019, 11:31 AM

Poster