SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Meta-Narrative Series

Discussion started on

I've known for quite some time that I'm not really naturally inclined toward writing a traditional series, where each book is set basically one after the other, until the series is finally finished.

Does anyone else where meta-narrative ( or shared lore) series, where each MC caste might be different per book. But each book will shared certain things like specific mythologies and fairy tales.

Final Fantasy (and JRPGs in general) are pretty well known for this. But I'm wondering if anyone here, what your experience has been for writing series like this?

I have the lore basically fleshed out: a super computer that was once a vampire, achieved a god-like status that enables them to create a giant game-world, that eventually collapses in on the real world. The general mythology of the fairies and elves and fairly consistent, though I've only ever written book one.

I've also written the prequel, which establishes the game dev themself.

Sorry, slight variation on an earlier question I asked.
#1 - January 17, 2019, 01:12 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
New!
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but I think so. There are some series where each book is set in the same universe, but the characters in one book may only appear peripherally in the next, either because it takes place in a different location or because it's in a different time period. (So one book focuses on the grandchild of the other or is in another part of the universe.) Is this the kind of thing you mean?
#2 - January 17, 2019, 09:33 PM
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 06:29 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but I think so. There are some series where each book is set in the same universe, but the characters in one book may only appear peripherally in the next, either because it takes place in a different location or because it's in a different time period. (So one book focuses on the grandchild of the other or is in another part of the universe.) Is this the kin of thing you mean?

I also found a Light Novel platform as well, which fits right along with my writing style as well. For those who don't know, Light Novels attract a similar audience to Young Adult, but focuses on those into Japanese anime.

Right now I'm just trying it to see if I have a good feeling about it. But it's ... a lot ... easier to use than Wattpad.

#3 - January 18, 2019, 05:48 PM
You can find my stuff at: uggc://plorephyg.bet/~fnenu/oybt.ugzy

Members: