SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Revealing Information When You’re Writing in Multiple POV

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Hi guys. 

So, I’m writing a Beauty and the Beast novel, and it’s multiple POV, but mostly between the title two characters.  What I want to understand is how do I keep information from the reader, and reveal it when it comes to multiple POV.   Like, how can I surprise the reader AND the characters? 

Does anybody have any suggestions?
#1 - February 19, 2019, 09:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
I have a mantra: Show the reader what the reader needs to know when the reader needs to know it. This means, nothing comes up until the POV character figures it out.

There may be times when one character knows something the other doesn't. You can have a character who is an unreliable narrator of their own story. Perhaps beasty thinks he wasn't so bad at the start and tells his part in that way. It's his truth not the truth, if that makes sense. After all, we're all heroes of our own stories.

I hope this helps.
#2 - February 19, 2019, 08:48 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Hmmm, this is hard. How do you reveal information at the proper time? How do you do this without the reader feeling manipulated? You want to leave clues so that when the surprise is revealed, it feels right but the reader doesn't see it coming, and this means withholding information until absolutely necessary. This means that that your POV character cannot know this until absolutely necessary either, so choose your POV characters carefully. Whose secret is it? Who stands to gain from hiding it/revealing it? Keep these things in mind as you write. Don Maass writes about information and the impact it can create in his Breakout Fiction. It's a really great book for many reasons! Beg, borrow, or buy a copy!

An unreliable character is one way. But I think you are also asking how to not deceive the reader but build real suspense. Here's a good article on building suspense: https://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/6-secrets-to-creating-and-sustaining-suspense

Good luck writing  your story!
#3 - February 20, 2019, 06:28 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Members: