SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Does Anybody Find It Easier To Illustrate Traditionally Than Digitally?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
I keep trying to use photoshop for digital painting, and it only works out 10% of the time.  I’ve been drawing traditionally since I was a child, and I just feel a better connection to paper than a tablet.  I don’t know why that is.

Anybody else feel the same way?
#1 - March 13, 2019, 03:40 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I'm better traditionally but I haven't put the same amount of time into learning digital. I hear the apple pencil with procreate on the ipad pro or a cintiq would be the closest to replicating pen to paper feel. Traditional is my preference for a number of reasons so I can't see myself going 100% digital. I do appreciate being able to fix most of my mistakes via photoshop though!
#2 - March 13, 2019, 04:31 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
Pirate, year round 2019 Acorn Press

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Yes same here. I have to admit that I also haven't put the same amount of hours into learning Photoshop as I have in working with watercolors or acrylics. After making pictures of my work I do use Photoshop to correct the photographs since it has always been a challenge to photograph my watercolor paintings. It is also a handy tool to add text, create a double spread etc. However, my brain seems to just stop working when I try to paint with Photoshop  :bewildered
#3 - March 14, 2019, 12:16 PM

Illustrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
It's partially a preference thing and partially a matter of your tools.   If you have a lousy interface or a slow machine, just like if you were using lousy pens or brushes with traditional media, you won't get good results. 

I use Photoshop on a fast computer with a cintiq and I use the Lazy Nezumi plugin to get the best results with my lines.  That works great for me.  However, that's me.  Not you. 

Even with the best digital tools available, if you just prefer working with real media, that's what you're going to like better.  No one way is necessarily right or wrong.  Both have their pros and their cons. 

Use whatever you're most comfortable with. 
#4 - March 18, 2019, 07:03 PM
Karen B. Jones

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Anything I try to draw digitally just ends up looking like something I drew with my non-dominant hand, and it's because I just don't have the hardware and software that you really need to get a decent result. And yes, many, MANY hours spent on traditional materials just gives me a lot more control.

I do scan and adjust digitally (colors, saturation, etc.). I love being able to easily edit! But I don't draw that way.
#5 - March 18, 2019, 07:31 PM

Members: