SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Issues getting illos printed?

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Just curious, does anyone get any resistance when getting copies of your art printed? I wanted to display some illustration samples in a small local church talent show, and I thought that printing some images and putting them in a portfolio type display would work well for this. Just color copies on regular printer paper, in clear plastic sheets in a binder, you know? But I don't have a color printer. So I went to Office Max to make copies. They took one look at them and said they don't print copyrighted stuff.

"Um...I own the copyright. I'm the artist."

"Okay, well...you'll have to sign this paper stating that, then."

So I sign the paper, and the guy is still looking doubtful. I've watermarked all my pages with my name, so he then asks to see ID to make sure I am this person.

I still don't think he really believed me, so said if he could provide some paper, I could re-draw them and he could see that it was really me.

Sheesh! I'm glad they take copyright so seriously. But I never thought I would get resistance if I was indeed the original artist!

In a way, though, it was kind of cool. A total stranger saw my work and thought I'd stolen it from a "real" artist. ;D
#1 - March 18, 2019, 07:43 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Rose, while I print all my own work off on my own printer, yrs ago I used to do a ton of copying at print outlets to send out the sample art and have still had to do a few over size ones at Staples etc., for conference workshops over the years. Never once did anyone ask if it was my work I was copying (is that maybe an insult to me then? LOL)
It could be the fact that there were watermarks on the art that threw them??? Because I've also never watermarked anything I've done. Were you going to print them WITH the watermarks showing?
#2 - March 19, 2019, 04:13 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Maybe watermark isn't the right word. They were illustration samples (so in a book, I wouldn't normally have my name on each image), but for this, I typed in my name on each page. (But it was just in the corner, I didn't stamp it over the whole image). It was such a funny thing, though! I was a bit frustrated but mostly amused.

Maybe it's also because I'm in a very small area where not many professional artists operate? (North Dakota)
#3 - March 19, 2019, 05:01 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Ah ok, get it now! Also glad to hear you were mostly amused by recieving the third degree! It is nice though to see SOMEONE taking copyright seriously enough to even question it (and yes, take it as a compliment, I would :)
#4 - March 19, 2019, 05:09 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
He should not have given you a hard time.  That was not company policy to do so.  They are supposed to question you if it looks like it's copyrighted work, but the most I've ever gotten is a question about it where I answered that, yes, it's my work.  I remember overhearing someone else being questioned once about the same thing, but I don't recall if she had to show ID or anything.  At most the print shop should ask for some sort of identification showing that you are the artist.  That document you were asked to sign is a CYA move so that they are not held responsible if it turns out you weren't authorized to have it printed.    Once you signed it, that's all they should have needed.  Him giving you skeptical looks afterwards and insinuating that he wasn't sure he believed you was unprofessional of him and rude. 
#5 - March 19, 2019, 07:46 AM
Karen B. Jones

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Yes, unprofessional and rude, but kinda cool, too. Congratulations on being taken for a professional.  :stars3
#6 - March 19, 2019, 07:59 AM

Members: