New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
 :bunny2
#1 - April 15, 2019, 11:17 AM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region minnesota
Hi, All  I'm a newly retired, nonpublished, writer that has spent the last twenty five years writing, and rewriting thirty short stories children's books that could be combined into a chapter book or a series. The thing that makes this extensive work unique is that I place the reader in the life of an animal to spend the entire day .   In that day the reader learns the  characteristics, eating habits, enemies, and different experiences  likely to happen with this particular animal. In doing so, the animal does the talking to the reader mostly, and done in a rhyming sort of way. These books are very educational, funny, adventurous, as well as unique as I have spent my entire life observing them. Then at the end the topic animal introduces the next subject as a prelude into the next book. Each book is 1500 to 2000 words long. So, my question to my new friends in scbwi is, How do I proceed to the next step in publication. All advice would be priceless to me.   Thanks  Dave
#2 - April 15, 2019, 11:38 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
:welcome David and :congratulations on writing these first stories. Animal stories are always a hit with the kids. There's a wealth of information on these boards so you can search by topic.
Here's a very useful FAQ about publishing: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?action=faq;sa=show;faqid=8
Happy reading and writing!
#3 - April 15, 2019, 11:49 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
:welcome David and :congratulations on writing these first stories. Animal stories are always a hit with the kids. There's a wealth of information on these boards so you can search by topic.
Here's a very useful FAQ about publishing: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?action=faq;sa=show;faqid=8
Happy reading and writing!

What Vijaya said!!

Welcome to the Blueboard, David!!!!! Best, best wishes on your journey to publication!!!!!

:welcome2

#4 - April 15, 2019, 02:40 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi Dave
:welcome
Sounds like a fun read.

Now a collection of short stories (even for the same age group) isn't an MG (the title of this forum -- which implies a novel), but part of the process is identifying your audience and how you hope to reach them.

Have you shown any of your work to other writers? Have you found any works that remind you of your own (in terms of structure, if nothing else)? Will the Wild Kratts be jealous? :)

Good luck moving forward.
#5 - April 15, 2019, 06:25 PM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:27 PM by David Wright »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
Have you had any of your stories critiqued? If not, that is your next step. We are often too close to our own work to see it clearly. There are a few places on the boards where you can post asking for a critique partner or join a group. You can also post one story in the Online Critiques area. This will give you a better sense of what you have. It's hard to judge without reading it.

#6 - April 15, 2019, 08:13 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Members: