SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Question about experiments in query letter...

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region ohiocensouth
Oh gosh, I haven't been here in a while - my life kind of got out of control for a few months, but things have settled and I'm trying to get back into querying!

I'm planning an article to pitch to Ask, and I'd like to include a related science experiment for kids to do. Right now, I'm testing out several variations on the experiment so I can figure out exactly which variables will work best to get the desired effects.

When I query, should I mention in the letter that the experiment has been thoroughly tested (or something like that)? I feel like that should probably be a given, not something you have to mention as a selling point.... but then I think about how many times I've tried published recipes (especially for kids) and clearly the person did not test it at all because it doesn't result in, like, actual edible food. So maybe pointing out that I've already tested this to make sure it works as intended actually would be useful?
#1 - May 03, 2019, 03:45 PM

Poster Plus
Welcome back, Brandy!!

Yes, I would definitely mention the experiment has been tested. The folks at Ask may assume you have tested it - and may do so, themselves, too - but your saying so shows professionalism.

Best wishes!!

:goldstar
#2 - May 03, 2019, 04:01 PM
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 04:04 PM by carrots »

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
Thanks, carrots!  :yourock
#3 - May 08, 2019, 02:40 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Yes, definitely say that you’ve tested it. It never hurts to give that kind of information.
#4 - May 14, 2019, 08:16 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
My expts. were always kid-tested but I never mentioned it. I think it's a good idea though. Good luck!
#5 - May 15, 2019, 07:30 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Like the others have said. Good idea to state it's been tested, and if it's been tested by kids, it's even better. Good luck!!
#6 - May 17, 2019, 05:30 AM
MA in creative writing. Author of upper middle-grade novel and chocoholic and SCBWI member

Members: