SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

An imaginary introduction

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region britishisles
Hello!

I'm editing the first chapter of my lower MG manuscript and have rewritten the introduction several times. I'm happier with the current draft, however the first paragraph is an imagined scene that doesn't have much bearing on the main story.

First of all, is it misleading/disappointing opening a book with a grand, adventurous scene that turns out is in the protagonist's head? Or is it just too confusing for the reader?

It would be great to move on from this opening and continue with the rewrite, but it just makes me uneasy. Any advice would be very useful!
#1 - August 19, 2019, 01:47 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi Simon

I would compare it to waking from a dream - a definitely no-no.
#2 - August 19, 2019, 02:05 PM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
First of all, is it misleading/disappointing opening a book with a grand, adventurous scene that turns out is in the protagonist's head? Or is it just too confusing for the reader?

I think the short answer is yes and yes. I think this is the feedback you would get.

An additional problem could be that the grand, adventurous scene fails to engage because readers haven't had a chance to get to know or care about the characters in it. But that's hard to tell without seeing your story.
#3 - August 19, 2019, 02:11 PM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region wwa
UG! Beginning! Such a bane!
I agree with the above responses. I also would suggest moving past it for now. Leave it alone and continue with your rewrite. It may give you a better perspective down the road. I am following my own advice and it is hard. But I think will pay off in the end.   Dig deep!   :shoveldirt
#4 - August 19, 2019, 04:27 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Don't make your readers start the story twice - once for the grand adventure and again for the real deal.
#5 - August 19, 2019, 07:44 PM

Members: