SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Support in Author Proposal

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Hi there, this is my first post on this forum.
I'm just about finished with all of my illustrations and writing in my first children's picture book. I'm starting the process of reaching out to publishers, but wanting to create a flexible template for my Author Proposal.

I'm wondering if any of you have references of what you wrote as your elevator pitch for your book description. I'm purely interested in the 1-4-year-old picture & board book demographic. Here is what I have so far:

The purpose of the book to assist in teaching children the basics of counting from 1-20 in a fun rhyming way. The main character, a pancake monster, gets more and more pancakes to eat, and throughout the story he grows until he can’t eat another pancake at the count of 20.

The primary market for this book is children in the 1-4 age group range that focuses on a fun way to count to 20. In this ten page spread book children will hear the numbers from 1-20 in a funny and engaging way with bold, simplistic design with a fun rhyming cadance. Additionally, a few counting pages are located at the end of the book to help engage the reader in using some of their new number skills.

#1 - June 20, 2019, 03:53 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
Hi Megan -- If I were you, I'd post my whole query letter for critique on the SCBWI Online Critiques Boards: https://www.scbwi.org/boards/index.php?board=121.0

I think you will get some good, specific advice and suggestions there.

Overall, I'd say focus more on the story and less on the lesson children will learn.
#2 - June 20, 2019, 08:32 PM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region socal
Welcome, Megan! There are several kinds of pitches. An elevator pitch is the shortest and is often one sentence or even less. It is designed to be delivered in a very short span of time (like an elevator ride) and has to absolutely hook the listener. A longer pitch may occur in a face-to-face setting, and probably the most formal and longest pitch is included in a query letter.

I agree with Dina. Focus on the playfulness of the story. Include as much of your story's voice as possible - and trim unnecessary words. For instance,  The main character, a pancake monster, gets more and more pancakes to eat, and throughout the story he grows until he can’t eat another pancake at the count of 20. could be A pancake monster goggles up pancakes until he can't eat anymore.

Happy revising. I love board books.

eta: If you have a dummy, include it. Then you don't have to describe the illustrations.
#3 - June 21, 2019, 07:48 AM
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:51 AM by Pons »

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Thank you both for the feedback, I'll be posting to the critique board when I have spent a little more time on the proposal.
#4 - June 21, 2019, 12:40 PM

Members: