SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

How do you draw a double spread?

Discussion started on

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
It seems like a no-brainer, right? You draw over twice the area of one page. Just one big picture.

But there's the gutter.

If you have perspective lines that really do need to be lined up properly (like if there are buildings or vehicles), how do you lay out your original drawing to accommodate for how the gutter is going to affect that? For example, if I want to draw  a moving truck next to the porch of a house. I can draw the house on one page and the truck on the other, but at some point, they overlap, and it's going to look weird if the lines don't match up.

I am sure this is a dumb question. But...maybe I am dumb. :)
#1 - June 24, 2019, 11:03 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Rose, you are NOT dumb!!! :)
The only thing to keep in mind/worry about, with a gutter is that whatever falls into it, will be a wee bit lost. So when you draw a moving van (for instance) across that gutter, just make sure something like the name of the company on the side of the truck won't land in that section, or little side reflector lights and so on. If it's just the outlines of the truck itself, crossing it, the printer will handle that and make sure they align. Same for grass or roads or anything else that crosses the gutter from one side to the other. I make assumptions that I might loose 1/4" IN the gutter...that's probably too much but better safe then sorry. I never worry about the lines though:)

Just an interesting side note about gutters. I was at our SCBWI Canada East Conference end of May and the Editor that gave a workshop on PB's brought up gutters and how they are sometimes used by Illustrators to TELL a good deal of the story and to great effect. I've lost my notes (lost my whole portfolio with the notes in it, leaving it somewhere in Montreal grrrr) but one of our members has promised to post a list of the book examples the Editor gave us and when she does, I'll add them here.
But the most amazing of the examples of working WITH the gutter was, surprisingly, "Where The Wild Things Are".  Sendak tells another story, just in the placement of the art across the spreads and the final 1 page Illustration. Everyone in the room sucked in their breath, wow, had NEVER even noticed what he had done there... and how many times has everyone read this book and never consciously been aware! https://viciousdaddy.blogspot.com/2015/03/page-layout-as-metaphor-in-where-wild.html
So, gutters aren't always the enemy we Illustrators are warned of :)
#2 - June 25, 2019, 03:31 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Wow! Chris!!! who would've thunk? Thank you!

Rose, I'm visual and it annoys me when some interesting detail falls in the gutter. So as a reader, please don't put anything important or interesting there. lol
#3 - June 25, 2019, 07:05 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region dakotas
Oh, that's cool about WTWTA! Haha--I also liked the note at the end of that article that the Wild Things were based off of childhood drawings of his elderly relatives. Note: be kind to your young relatives, or they may draw you into a book someday...

Yeah, it's a major fail to put something important in the gutter. But I wasn't sure about lines that lead from one side to the other. Good to know that the printer can line those up. I will just draw, then. :)
#4 - June 25, 2019, 09:05 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
I just remembered one more of the examples Kait Feldmann, (Editor/Scholastic) gave that she loved, which USES the gutter as part of the story telling.
Look up "Wave", by Suzy Lee (google images). In some spreads she has the little girl running across the gutter, half her body lost in the gutter area as she flees the wave coming in. Then another of the wave crashing to shore but "hitting" the gutter like it's a wall and bouncing back to the ocean.
I'm not saying many of us can or would go to this extreme of course but just that this Editor's examples of page layout/design made the gutter far less frightening and serious then I once thought of it as :)
#5 - June 26, 2019, 02:38 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

Members: