SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

using internet sources

Discussion started on

How terrible is it to use internet sources for a non-fiction article?  I have an idea for one of the Carus magazines. I ordered a pertinent used book on the topic from Amazon that I'm excited to read, but other than that, all I'm really finding is internet sources. They are good, credible sources....just online. My library doesn't have much on the specific topic unfortunately. I've reached out to a couple of expert sources, but who knows if I will hear back.

I read on a non-fiction writing advice website that it's best to avoid internet sources on a bibliography. Is this true, or is that pretty much outdated information now that so much is on the internet?
#1 - August 08, 2019, 08:57 AM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
There are a lot of great internet sources these days. Just verify that the information is good and you should be all right.

You might bolster and back up the info with interviews.
#2 - August 08, 2019, 09:14 AM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Thank you---that makes me feel better about the information I'm finding! 
#3 - August 08, 2019, 10:26 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Ginbug, a book goes through a lot more vetting than a website (sometimes maintained by a student) hence the requirement to use books instead of online resources. But if your online sources are credible, you should be fine. I like AnneMarie's idea to get an interview. Good luck!
#4 - August 08, 2019, 10:38 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region newengland
Putting internet sources all in one bucket makes this question a bit too broad. Like others are saying, the internet can connect you with reliable sources. You can access peer-reviewed academic journals, read a news article from AP or Reuters, search through information from NASA or CDC or Department of Agriculture, or find a blogger who cites several reputable sources throughout their post (in which case, it may be worth accessing the information they cite if possible).
I think an editor will be able to see if you are drawing from these instead of citing somebody's standup comedy routine.
#5 - August 08, 2019, 10:54 AM

Right---you definitely can't lump all internet sites together!! I just wasn't sure if editors at the magazines automatically toss away your work if any of your sources are from the internet, regardless of credibility.  It's such a tight market I didn't want to take chances with that. Glad to hear they don't! I can't remember what website I saw that said to avoid using the internet, but it didn't get more specific than that.

Technically the topic of the article is within my professional field of study/career. However, I don't know enough about the specific topic to pull it all from my head successfully, hence the need for sources.
#6 - August 08, 2019, 11:06 AM

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI RA
  • SCBWI Region cencal
The internet is fine, so long as you use credible primary sources. Wikipedia is a big no as are most blogs and secondary sources.
#7 - August 08, 2019, 05:45 PM
Rebecca Langston-George
The Women's Rights Movement: Then and Now
Capstone: January, 2018

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region utahsouthidaho
Actually, Wikipedia is very useful, because it requires citations.  Those will lead you to books and articles.  I'm fortunate enough to be near a university with a large library.  I can't check the books out, but I can use them on site.  Even then, I try to figure out just how credible the author is.  I wold never cite a fact as coming from Wikipedia, but I use it to point me to good sources.
#8 - September 09, 2019, 05:39 PM

Members: