SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Any magazine writing classes?

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Hello,

Does anyone know of a magazine writing class?

Also, I know that getting published is extremely difficult, but do you think you have a better chance with magazine writing. I was wondering because there seems to be fewer magazines out there than before.

Thanks!
#1 - September 01, 2019, 05:37 PM

Admins and Mods Emeriti
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
The Institute of Children's Literature has a good magazine writing class.

It is harder because there are far fewer magazines than there were 15 years ago.  It's still easier to publish magazine pieces than books.

AM
#2 - September 01, 2019, 07:35 PM
VAMPIRINA BALLERINA series (Disney-Hyperion)
SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY (Abrams)
GROUNDHUG DAY (Disney-Hyperion, 2017)
among others

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Seconding Anne Marie on the ICL magazine course. I was both a student and instructor and think it's the best bang for the buck because it's not just about the craft but also the business. I earned back (3-4X) what I paid while still enrolled in the course (it took me 2 yrs) and most of my stories have been published. Their materials are excellent and I use over and over, esp. when helping others with magazine writing.

Check if your local community college offers a short story/magazine writing course.

Sowing Seeds by Kathleen Muldoon is a book for writing for the Christian children's market. It has practical advice that applies to the secular as well. But ICL has it all. Best wishes.
#3 - September 02, 2019, 06:22 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Administrator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region wisconsin
Thirding ICL if your focus is magazine writing. I was also an instructor there for 16 years. For book writing, a lot of other, and in my opinion better, programs for PBs and novels have developed over the years. But for magazine writing I'm unaware of anything comparable to ICL -- although that may be in part because I haven't written for magazines in years.

There are so few magazines today. Some mainstays of the past have unfortunately folded, and others have financial problems or are extremely slow to pay. Writing to the specs of those that do exist, rather than writing what you want and then trying to find a market for it, will improve your chances of selling. Good luck.  :goodluck
#4 - September 02, 2019, 09:53 AM
Adventures of Jenna V. Series
Caroline Grade Mysteries
The Journey of Emilie
Anne Bradstreet: America's Puritan Poet
www.marciahoehne.com

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
Yes, there are very few children's magazines left.  However, the fact that some of the well-known magazines (e.g. Cricket and Highlights) still allow submissions from unagented authors provides a rare opportunity for anyone who's trying to establish themselves as a reputable writer. 

While I have been successful getting my work published in magazines, I have had no success whatsoever in attracting an agent.  Consequently, I have zero access to most traditional book publishers.  The magazine market is far more welcoming in that respect.
#5 - September 02, 2019, 04:37 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
You're right that there are a lot fewer children's magazines now than a few years ago.  But if you're just trying to gain experience and are willing to write for no-pay or low-pay and/or online publications, there are still plenty to keep you busy.  Check out my website if you want a list with links to submission guidelines--  http://evelynchristensen.com/mags.html.

Best wishes to you.
#6 - September 02, 2019, 05:28 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region rmc
Here's a great resource from Carrie Finison:

https://www.carriefinison.com/magazine-writing-tips
#7 - September 03, 2019, 05:43 AM

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region hawaii
Thanks everyone for your advice!