SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Magazine Market for Poetry

Discussion started on

Bummed about yet another poem rejection. I have quite a few poems that no one wants, but have sold a couple to Highlights and Pockets so I don't think I'm that awful at poetry. Besides Highlights (closed to submissions I think), and Cricket (rejected everything from me to date), who else takes poems?  I sent a couple to the School Magazine of Australia, and got quick rejections. A couple of my poems wouldn't fit for Australian readers because of some word choices---obviously written by an American. Pockets is closing. The people at Jack and Jill and Humpty Dumpty don't seem to write back so I hesitate to mail things into their void....what about Fun for Kidz? Their topic list says they only need non-fiction, does that mean they won't accept poetry?  Does Clubhouse Jr take poems?

Poetry is my first love, but it's such a terrible market for kids, don't you think?  I might just "self-publish" my poems into a Shutterfly book, give it to my daughter for Christmas, and call it a wash, lol. 
#1 - August 19, 2019, 11:40 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Gbug, poetry *is* hard to place. I share your frustration. I've placed a couple of NF poems so that might be an avenue for a magazine, esp. the themed magazines and Fun for Kidz counts. I do so love the idea of a little chapbook for your daughter, though!!! There is something very special holding your words in a tangible form. And poetry collections--thematic ones--are such fun. You could have a book.

Suggestion: The SCBWI Bulletin accepts poems about the writing life and the payment is nice too, plus membership. It's been a while since I subbed anything to the Bulletin so I don't know the current terms. You are just the person to write a poem about the perils of being a poet.

Good luck!
#2 - August 19, 2019, 11:58 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions Vijaya--I might just write that poem about being a poet...haha!!
#3 - August 19, 2019, 12:32 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
You're right, Gbug, about it being hard to find places for children's poetry. I've had some published, but the magazine where I was most successful has folded.  Fun for Kidz might consider a NF poem.

I know you'd obviously prefer a paying market, but would you consider a non-paying one? Are you only interested in print magazines, or would you consider online publications? If you're willing to do non-paying and/or online, there are more possibilities.
#4 - August 19, 2019, 02:13 PM

I would definitely consider online and non-paying if it's a publication that's reputable. The only one I won't do is Bumples because they used one of my poems and never paid me for it. She made it sound like she used it by accident--still should have been paid. It was weird and I won't do that again.

Question---I'm struggling to picture a NF poem. Like if you write a poem about the wind...what makes it NF as opposed to fiction?  Wind is inherently nonfiction, but the telling of it could be fiction. I guess if it involves a person or telling something from the POV of a person, then it would be fiction. Can someone tell me an example of a NF poem?
#5 - August 20, 2019, 07:52 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midsouth
Gbug, here are a few possibilities you might want to check. It's been a while since I checked them out in detail and I don't even promise  they publish poetry, but my recollection is that they do. I haven't published with any of them myself, so I'm not endorsing them. You can find their links on my Children's Magazines page on my website, and in some cases, interviews with the editors-- http://evelynchristensen.com/mags.html. If you browse through the lists on that page you can probably find a bunch of other possibilities.

Balloons Literary Journal
The Caterpillar
Ember
Kid's Imagination Train
Root & Star

As for NF poetry, when I mentioned it, I was referring to poetry that provides the child factual information about a topic.  For example, I had a poem about homing pigeons published in Boy's Quest (formerly a companion mag to Fun For Kidz) and she even used it again later as a reprint. Not every line of it was strictly NF, but that's the kind of poem I meant when I said FFK might publish a NF poem.
#6 - August 20, 2019, 08:55 AM

Thanks Ev!!
#7 - August 20, 2019, 10:34 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region mddewv
GBug,
If you have a look at the June 2019 issue of Highlights High Five, you will find a poem called "Sparkling Maps."  It's a nonfiction poem about constellations.  That's one example which you should be able to find at either your local library or on the magazine rack at Barnes & Noble.
#8 - August 20, 2019, 12:12 PM

We get Highlights HF so I will have to try to find it. That issue has to be around our house somewhere! 
#9 - August 20, 2019, 12:37 PM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
Gbug, a poem about the qualities of wind, how they make you feel, or an observation, are all NF. I've written about April Snow--cherry blossoms. The illustrator painted such a beautiful scene to go with the three-line poem. I've yet to see my poem about Stars and Meteors in print. My suggestion is to keep it tightly focused, just like short-short stories. Good luck!
#10 - August 20, 2019, 05:27 PM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
New!
There is a market for sci fi and fantasy poetry for kids: Spaceports and Spidersilk. Also Guardian Angel Kids publishes poetry on themes. Both of these pay minimally. Look carefully at the ages. I just contracted a YA poem to Frostfire Worlds. Again, pay is minimal. So Sci fi stuff still has a market or two for kids and teens.
#11 - August 26, 2019, 06:58 PM
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:39 PM by Debbie Vilardi »
Twitter: @dvilardi1

I will check those out---thanks!  I did just submit something to Wee Tales.
#12 - August 27, 2019, 06:54 AM

Members: