SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

UCLA One-Day Middle Grade Workshop

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
[Posted with Administrator Permission]

I’m teaching a new one-day workshop at UCLA Extension Writers' Program, “How to Create Original Middle Grade Concepts,” on Sat 08/31 in LA.

Course description: “Original concepts are some of the rarest and most powerful tools in a middle grade novel writer’s arsenal. This workshop guides middle grade writers through concept generation, analysis, and development to create concepts that are unique and personal and differentiate themselves. Workshop techniques will include combining ideas to form unique hybrids, genre challenge exercises such as creating fantasy worlds that contain no magic, surrealist parlor games, exercises and rituals to promote brainstorming, and in-class workshopping with analysis by the instructor and fellow students. Students will leave the workshop with at least one polished concept to begin developing into a middle grade novel.”

Link: https://www.uclaextension.edu/writing-journalism/creative-writing/course/how-create-original-middle-grade-concepts-writing-7441e

Come play with us!

Best,

Henry
#1 - August 23, 2019, 03:36 PM
Henry Lien

Wish I lived nearby because I would love to take any workshop with the amazing Henry Lien! If you have not read his books featuring Peasprout Chen, I will just tell you that this guy puts the O in original! I am sure this would be a fun, mind-bending, creative experience and I love the idea of leaving a workshop with a polished concept to use in developing a MG novel.  So glad to hear you're using your talents to inspire others, Henry!  :yourock
#2 - August 24, 2019, 09:34 AM
EXTRAORDINARY ( Skypony Press  May 2015)
CALL ME SUNFLOWER (Skypony Press May 2017)
EMILY OUT OF FOCUS (Skypony Press May 2019)

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Thank you so much for your very kind words about Peasprout and me! I believe in fun and play and keep the class focused on that. Wish you could be there but thank you for the vote of confidence!!!
#3 - August 25, 2019, 05:17 PM
Henry Lien

Members: