SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Word count picture book

Discussion started on

Many thanks for the valuable feedback. Michael, I believe that the material is more suited for a chapter book. Thank you for that insight.
#1 - September 08, 2019, 11:36 PM
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:22 PM by DMaria »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Hi D

What do you mean by 'classifies'? Is the language too difficult for a chapter book or early reader (and requires an adult reader)? Is the plot restricted to s single element? Is there are lack of description that requires a plethora of images?

It's hard to offer advice without knowing more.
#2 - September 09, 2019, 04:51 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region midatlantic
I agree with David. It's hard to give advice without knowing why the editor "classified" it as a picture book.

What was your intention when writing the book? A PB or a chapter book?

Whichever direction you  decide, my first suggestion is to read dozens of books in the category you are writing, taking notes on what makes them work. Then take a fresh look at your story to see what you can cut/change/add to fit the story in the category you are writing.

Best of luck!
#3 - September 09, 2019, 06:29 AM

Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region newengland
I'd suggest asking the editor for clarification. These days, most publishers seek picture books that are no more than around 500 words. If your editor felt that your manuscript would work best as a picture book, he or she should have told you this at the outset and suggested developmental editing, not line editing or proof reading.
#4 - September 09, 2019, 07:46 AM
DUCKWORTH, THE DIFFICULT CHILD (Atheneum, 2019)
INCOGNOLIO (Janx Press, 2017)
CRASHING EDEN  (Solstice, 2012)
OTTO GROWS DOWN (Sterling, 2009)

My apologies for not addressing everyone separately. The feedback was excellent. Thanks again.
#5 - September 09, 2019, 02:24 PM

Members: