SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Hindi-English Bilingual Publishers of Children's Literature

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Hello,
I've been a member of the SCBWI for about a year now. I'm looking for inputs on publishers active in the bilingual Hindi-English market for children's books - primarily picture books. I was hoping that there might be some intersection of bilingual publishers with publishers active in the market for diverse books. But I haven't come across any as of now.
Any suggestions are welcome.
Thank you.
Parul
#1 - September 17, 2019, 09:48 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region carolinas
I've not come across any Hindi-English bilingual books except perhaps at Tuttle: https://www.tuttlepublishing.com/india  Perhaps look into Scholastic India? However, there are several publishers who publish stories with Indian characters: Lee and Low, Kokila.

There's a wonderful book, Give Your Child the World by Jamie Martin that has a great list of books for kids from different parts of the world. It's indexed by country as well as age group. You might find this useful in identifying publishers who publish the kind of book you want to write.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01863JLKC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Best wishes, Vijaya
#2 - September 17, 2019, 10:21 AM
BOUND (Bodach Books, 2018)
TEN EASTER EGGS (Scholastic, 2015)
www.vijayabodach.blogspot.com
Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region westcentny
#3 - September 17, 2019, 11:20 AM
BLACKOUT -- available now
DESERTED -- available now
SISTERS DON'T TELL -- available now
www.deenalipomi.com

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
My local library has an extensive South Asian section and many of the books are by https://prathambooks.org/ (which does bilingual books)
#4 - September 17, 2019, 01:54 PM

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi All,

Thanks very much for these great suggestions. I wasn't aware of many of them. Vijaya - I will look into the two publishers and the book that you've mentioned. David, thanks for pointing me to Pratham Books. It's a great resource and one that I was completely unaware of.

Best,

Parul
#5 - September 17, 2019, 02:31 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region sfsouth
Check-out Bharat Babies. They recently pubbed Shubh Raatri Dost/Good Night Friend.
Also take a look at Yali Books. Both of these are small press here in the U.S.
#6 - September 17, 2019, 06:14 PM
How to Wear a Sari (HMH Books/Versify, Spring 2021)
www.darshanakhiani.com - Children's Book Author

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
Hi Darshana,

Many thanks for the suggestions of Bharat Babies & Yali Books. I was not aware of them, and will look into both these places.

Best,

Parul
#7 - September 25, 2019, 10:08 AM

Members: