SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

What genre is my NF middle grade PB?

Discussion started on

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region oregon
I wrote a 1400 word NF nature-based picture book. A publisher is interested and asked me to up the science content, double the topics covered, and make it appeal to 3rd-5th graders. It's currently at 4800 words, and will be 48 pages, heavily illustrated with photos. I'm submitting to agents ahead of a hoped-for offer. What do I call this manuscript? If it's a picture book, 4800 words is crazy. But it's not a chapter book. Is there such a thing as a nonfiction middle-grade picture book? Or does "juvenile" mean older than preschool? Maybe a "juvenile nonfiction illustrated manuscript"? I'm stuck.

Thanks for your help!
#1 - September 27, 2019, 01:58 PM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
Teresa,

In this case, the level of the intended audience seems more important to me than the word count, so I'd label it a nonfiction picture book.

Good luck!

Jody
#2 - September 27, 2019, 05:03 PM
PRUDENCE, THE PART-TIME COW, A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK, BUSY BUS series, EMERGENCY KITTENS, and more!
Twitter @jodywrites4kids

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region longislandny
There is such a thing as a nonfiction middle grade picture book. And readers in grades 3-5 are middle grade readers. So that's your genre. The picture book word counts you read about are really meant for fiction. Non fiction for an older reader, often used in the classroom, has broader rules.
#3 - September 27, 2019, 06:29 PM
Twitter: @dvilardi1

Children's writer
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region australiaeastnz
You could consider incorporating the word "information", e.g picture/information book. You could also give comparative titles to elaborate on the style you mean. e.g. a picture/information book in the style of Yuval Zommer's The Big Book of the Blue. (This book may be a comp - it has 64 pages)
#4 - September 27, 2019, 11:05 PM
I've Got Eyes! - Amicus Ink

www.juliemurphybooks.com

Members: