SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

RGB vs CMYK

Discussion started on

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Wasn't sure whether to post this over at the Picture Book forum or here...

When submitting a book (to an agent or publisher), should one submit in RGB or CMYK? I ask because I would like online content to be available (possibly an e-book), in which I would love to use bright, neon greens, yellows, pinks and blues, etc. However, I did a test print of my book and saw that under typical CMYK printing a printed book using these colors is definitely not possible.

If I submit along with my dummy the 2-3 final illustrations in RGB, using these bright colors, will it make it look like I don't know my craft? (i.e. make it look like I have no knowledge that neons do not reproduce accurately in printing). On the other hand, I love these colors, and would love the agent/publisher to share my vision on what they could be (at least on a digital platform).

What is the correct protocol here?
#1 - October 09, 2019, 10:03 AM

Illustrator
Member.
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region ksmo
My work is mostly in the educational and religious markets and I've had projects of both types.  The one I'm working on now is RGB and the one before that was CMYK.  Just depends on the publisher. 

I'd say, if submitting digitally, default to RGB because they're probably going to look at it on a screen and RGB looks best on a screen.  Particularly if you already know your image has vibrant greens that CMYK doesn't support. 

If submitting a printed portfolio, just print it whatever way yields the best prints from your printer/copy place and send that. 
#2 - October 14, 2019, 04:36 PM
Karen B. Jones

Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region losangeles
Thank you Karen! That is great advice. Basically, I think I am thinking too much. Kudos :)
#3 - October 15, 2019, 02:26 PM

Members: