SCBWI's Blueboard - A Message & Chat Board

Book Dummies

Discussion started on

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
The knowledge and wisdom found in The Book is wonderful. Elizabeth O. Dulemba’s article (2019), Creating Picture Book Dummies, and Bonnie Adamson’s article, Demystifying Digital Dummies, have been very helpful. I still have a few questions.

When do you send a book dummy? Do you send a query letter first?

Is it fitting to send a manuscript and two finished art samples (if you are the author and illustrator) rather than a book dummy?

The answers likely vary by publisher, but I thought there might be a rule of thumb to go by.

Thank you for your time.
#1 - October 18, 2019, 06:25 AM
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:18 AM by rebecca-elie »

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
  • SCBWI Region canadaeast
Good question Rebecca. I think when it's a publisher you haven't worked with before, you're best off to send your query (include the PB manuscript IF the pub sub guidelines say that's acceptable) and state in your query that you are an Illustrator, that a dummy is available and include a link to a site where they can view your art/style. If the manuscript and your Illustrations peaks their interest, they may well request you send the dummy or link to it on line.
Occasionally publishers will allow for 1 or 2 jpeg attachments but make sure they say so in their guidelines first. If an email shows attachments from someone they don't know, they may just trash the entire message without opening it :(

#2 - October 18, 2019, 06:48 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Thank you for sharing that information. I appreciate knowing that some will trash things, if there's an attachment that wasn't expected.  Are links typically the best way to share?
#3 - October 18, 2019, 07:42 AM

Global Moderator
Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
I appreciate knowing that some will trash things, if there's an attachment

I say "may", only because some could be concerned about viruses. If the guideline says to include a jpeg (a number of PB Agents looking for Author/Illustrators do say this) by all means do.
If there is no mention of including an attachment, I do think a link is the best option.

It would be interesting to hear from other Illustrators on how they sub their work via email.
#4 - October 19, 2019, 02:20 AM
"Penelope and the Humongous Burp"
"Penelope and the Monsters"
"Penelope and the Preposterous Birthday Party"

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
Thank you. Yes, I agree, it would be interesting to hear more about this from others as well.
#5 - October 19, 2019, 06:37 AM

Poster Plus
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI PAL
Ditto what Christine said. I usually send a link unless they specify that attachment is ok. Some don't like links either though. If they are asking for a link to your portfolio it's safe to say they are ok with links!

I've only sent manuscript & art samples once - but that was for a publisher soliciting a submission after seeing a sample in my portfolio. I didn't have a dummy at that time. Ordinarily I wouldn't submit unless the dummy was ready or I had no interest in illustrating that particular manuscript.
#6 - October 19, 2019, 09:29 AM
https://marlalesage.com/
PIRATE YEAR ROUND (Acorn Press, 2019)

New Poster
  • SCBWI Member
  • SCBWI Region michigan
"If they are asking for a link to your portfolio it's safe to say they are ok with links!" That is a very good point.
It sounds like you would recommend sending a book dummy over a manuscript and art samples.
Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts on this matter.  I appreciate it!
#7 - October 21, 2019, 04:00 AM

Members: